MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - A season high .457 hitting percentage propelled the Florida Atlantic University volleyball team to a sweep of Middle Tennessee (25-10, 25-22, 25-13) on Sunday. The sweep was the first one of the conference schedule for the Owls, who improved to 11-6 overall and 2-3 Conference USA play.
The Owls led 7-4 in the first set when Ivone Martinez’s serving helped them score six straight points on the way to a 25-10 win. Five Owls had at least two kills in the set, led by Abbi Reid’s five. The second set was much more competitive. The biggest lead either team held in the frame came when FAU was up 14-10. However, the Blue Raiders battled back to even the score at 18. The 11th tie of the set came at 20 before FAU won the next three points, eventually winning 25-22 and taking a two sets to none lead. MT came out of the intermission and quickly built a modest lead. The Owls rallied to take the advantage and a 6-1 run secured the win for FAU.
- Sydney Nemtuda led the Owls with 11 kills. It was her third double-digit kill match in the last four outings.
- Abbi Reid and Sigourney Kame each added 10 kills, while Gabrielle Dixon chipped in nine.
- Ivone Martinez had 37 assists and eight digs.
- Alex Cardona tallied 16 digs.
- The win snapped a four-match conference road losing streak for the Owls. FAU’s last C-USA win outside of Boca Raton came at North Texas on Oct. 16, 2016.
FAU Head Coach Fernanda Nelson
“I’m happy with the way we bounced back to win today. We played with more focus and didn’t make as many errors (as we did on Friday).”
“We hit such a high percentage because we passed really well and Ivone did a great job running the offense.”
The Owls return home to host North Texas on Sunday, Oct. 15. The match will start at noon ET. Live video and live stats will be available at fausports.com. For tickets, call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS or logon to fausports.com.