BOCA RATON, Fla. - (Sept. 29, 2017) – The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team couldn’t overcome a disjointed offensive performance in a four set (31-29, 15-25, 25-19, 25-18) loss to FIU on Friday night. The Owls dropped to 9-5 overall and 0-2 in Conference USA play with the defeat.
The first set was a hotly contested one from the outset, with both the Owls and Panthers (2-6, 1-1) struggling to maintain their rhythm. FIU squandered five chances to end the frame, with the Owls managing to tie the match on all five occasions. The Panthers finally capitalized on their sixth chance, taking the set 31-29. Set number two was tied at 11 when strong serving by Alex Cardona and Sydney Nemtuda helped FAU tie the match with a 25-15 win. The Owls led 15-12 at the midway point of the third stanza when the Panthers closed on a 13-4 rally to win the frame 25-19 and take a two sets to one lead. FIU built a small but stubborn lead early in the fourth set and eventually stretched the margin to as many as six. The Owls rallied to within three at 18-15, but didn’t get any closer, dropping the set and the match 25-18.
- Abbi Reid had a match high 16 kills for the Owls.
- Nikki Lakman posted 48 assists and eight digs in her first career start.
- Sydney Nemtuda recorded her first career double-double with 10 kills and 10 digs. Both totals were career highs for the freshman.
- Sigourney Kame had 10 kills for FAU.
- Kori Varney led the Owls with 13 digs, followed closely by Dena Tekavec with an even dozen.
- Errors were the culprit in the Owls’ loss. FAU committed 38 combined attack and service errors.
The Owls host Charlotte at noon on Sunday. Live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. Fans can also follow the action on the team’s official Twitter page, @FAUVolleyball. For tickets, call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS.