TAMPA, Fla. - (September 2, 2016) -- The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team won both of its matches at the USF Invitational on Friday. The Owls (3-3) defeated Georgetown in four sets (28-26, 25-23, 22-25, 25-22) in their first match before sweeping Stetson (25-9, 25-23, 25-13) in their second match.
Game 1 Notables
- Maja Ristic narrowly missed a double-double with a team high 16 kills and nine digs.
- Ivone Martinez had 25 assists and 14 digs for her third double-double of the season.
- Nathalie Rosado had a match-high 22 digs for the Owls.
- Freshmen Sigourney Kame (10 kills) and Sydney Riggs (four kills, 11 digs) also made significant contributions to the win.
- Abbi Reid had eight kills and three total blocks in the match.
The score was tied 26-26 in the first set when Abbi Reid and Kristi Tekavec teamed up on a block, followed by a Hoya attack error that gave the Owls a 1-0 lead. A Reid kill closed out the second set to put FAU up two sets to none. After the Hoyas won the third set, FAU finished on a run in the fourth set to take the match.
Game 2 Notables
- Sigourney Kame had a team high 11 kills.
- Ivone Martinez had 23 assists.
- Nathalie Rosado had 23 digs, passing Lori Lombard for eighth place in school history, with 1,057 for her career.
The Owls used a 16-2 run to steamroll their way to a 25-9 set one win. Brianne Wojciakowski had a perfect 1.000 hitting percentage (4-0-4) in the frame. Strong serving by Maja Ristic and Ivone Martinez helped FAU build a 15-8 lead in the second set, before the Hatters rallied to tie the score at 23. Back-to-back kills by Sigourney Kame ended the set and put FAU one frame away from victory. Set number three was tied at 11, when the Owls reeled off a 14-2 run to close out the match. Stetson committed six attack errors during the run.
FAU Head Coach Fernanda Nelson
"We took advantage of the opportunity to get better and played better as a team, but we have to keep working hard."
The Owls close out the USF Invitational with a match against Western Carolina at 11 a.m. on Saturday. Live stats will be available at fausports.com.