BOCA RATON, Fla - (August 27, 2016) - The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team kicked of its 2016 season by splitting its two matches at the FAU Invitational on Friday. The Owls swept Bethune Cookman (25-20, 25-19, 25-17) before falling to UNF in five sets (25-23, 23-25, 25-17, 25-12).
Game 1 Notables
- Maja Ristic successfully converted her first 11 attempts as part of a 20 kill match.
- Freshman Sydney Riggs had10 kills and 10 digs for a double-double in her first collegiate match.
- Nathalie Rosado led FAU with 11 digs.
- The Owls outhit the Wildcats .227 to .106.
With the score tied 10-10 in the first set, FAU went on a 7-2 run to seize control of the frame. The third set was tied at nine when the Owls went on a 9-4 run to dash any hopes of a BCU comeback.
Game 2 Notables
- Ristic had 18 kills and 10 digs for a double-double.
- Kristi Tekavec had 11 kills in her first game action in nearly two years.
- Ivone Martinez posted 21 assists and 11 digs.
- Rosado added 14 digs in the nightcap.
A Ristic kill tied the first set at 23, but a UNF kill and service ace put the set away. After the Owls steamrolled to a 25-12 set four win, the Ospreys took the first seven points of set number five, building a lead FAU couldn't overcome.
The Owls wrap up action at the FAU Invitational on Saturday, when they play Drake and Northeastern. Live stats will be available at fausports.com. Free streaming of both matches will be available at fausports.tv and in-game updates will be available at twitter.com/fauvolleyball.