DELAND, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team swept the host Hatters (25-17, 25-9, 25-13) at the Stetson Invitational on Saturday. The Owls are 3-0 to start the year for the second time in three seasons.
The first set was tied 9-9 when the Owls went on a 10-3 run to take a 19-12 lead. Stetson responded with a modest rally to pull within four at 21-17, but didn’t get any closer. FAU answered with four straight points to close out the set. Alex Cardona’s serving built a 9-1 lead in the second set and the Hatters were unable to recover, as FAU cruised to a 25-9 win. More strong serving to start set number three put the Owls up early and back-to-back kills for Mimi Marion sealed the victory for FAU.
- Kristi Tekavec had a match-high 11 kills and added a career-high 13 digs for her first career double-double.
- Jordan Yauch posted nine kills.
- Mimi Marion tallied five kills and a .714 hitting percentage.
- Ivone Martinez notched 41 assists and was named tournament MVP.
- Abbi Reid and Sigourney Kame were also named to the all-tournament team.
Head Coach Fernanda Nelson
“It was a great weekend overall. We looked really good defensively and I was happy to see Kristi Tekavec have a great match all the way around.”
The Owls head to Ft. Myers for the FGCU Homewood Suites Classic. FAU will face UCF at 10 a.m. on Friday, September 1 in its first match of the weekend.