DELAND, Fla. - (August 25, 2017) - The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team opened its season with a pair of sweeps at the Stetson Invitational on Friday. FAU downed Central Connecticut (25-19, 25-17, 25-23) in its first match, before beating Stephen F. Austin (25-11, 25-22, 25-19) in its second match.
Match 1 vs. Central Connecticut
The first set was close throughout, featuring 10 ties. The final tie came at 16-16 when back-to-back Sigourney Kame kills gave the Owls (2-0) a lead they wouldn't relinquish. Abbi Reid teamed with Kristi Tekavec and Jordan Yauch on consecutive blocks, before Yauch and Tekavec each tallied kills to end the frame. The duo of Yauch and Tekavec's serving helped FAU build a 13-7 lead in set number two. The Owls maintained a cushion of at least four points the rest of the way, eventually taking a 25-17 decision. Set three was tied at 12 when Yauch's serving led to four straight FAU points. The Blue Devils got within a single point at 24-23, but Yauch's ninth kill of the match slammed the door shut, giving the Owls the victory.
- Sigourney Kame had a match-high 11 kills and hit .476 in the match.
- Jordan Yauch and Abbi Reid each had nine kills.
- Yauch added four service aces and four digs, while Reid posted five total blocks.
- Ivone Martinez tallied a career-high 42 assists.
- Alex Cardona led the team with 12 digs.
Match 2 vs. Stephen F. Austin
The Owls got out to an early lead over the Ladyjacks in the first set and cruised to a 25-11 win. The second set was much more competitive, as there were 15 ties. SFA led 22-21 late before four different Owls recorded kills to help FAU take a 25-22 comeback victory. The Ladyjacks had a fierce start out of intermission, building a 12-7 advantage in the third set. The lead was still five, 16-11, later in the frame when the Owls rallied to tie the score at 17. The two teams exchanged points before FAU closed on a 6-0 run, capped by a Kristi Tekavec kill, to complete the sweep.
- Sigourney Kame had a career-high 21 kills to lead all players.
- Kristi Tekavec (15) and Jordan Yauch (10) joined Kame in double-digit kills.
- Yauch added 13 digs for her first double-double as an Owl.
- Ivone Martinez had 53 assists, setting a career-high for the second match in a row.
- Alex Cardona posted a match-high 17 digs.
- The Owls outhit the Colonels .376 to .181 in the match.
Head Coach Fernanda Nelson
"I'm happy with how well we played today, we built momentum in the first match and were able to carry that over to the second match."
"Offensively, Ivone did a great job running the offense and Abbi and Sigourney had really good matches. The thing I'm happiest about is how calm we stayed when we got behind in the third set (against Stephen F. Austin). We were able to stay focused and close out the match."
The Owls will go for a 3-0 start at 11 a.m. on Saturday, when they play tournament host Stetson. The match will air on ESPN3 and a link to live stats will be available at fausports.com.