BOCA RATON, Fla. - (August 19, 2017) – The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team defeated Miami-Dade College in an exhibition match on Saturday night. The Owls won the first three sets, but the two teams agreed to a fourth frame to gain more game experience.
FAU led the first set 5-4 before Abbi Reid served the Owls to 10 straight points and the Owls cruised to a 25-12 triumph. The second frame was much more competitive as there were five ties and a lead change. Set number three was tied at 12, but FAU went on a 5-0 run, taking a 17-15 advantage, ultimately winning 25-20. In the fourth set, the newest Owls had a chance to see extended action as four newcomers to the squad were on the court when play began. Despite a late FAU run, the Sharks won 25-23.
- Abbi Reid had 13 kills and hit .417 on the night.
- Sigourney Kame posted 10 kills.
- Ivone Martinez tallied 26 assists, five digs and four kills.
- Nikki Lakman had 14 assists and six digs.
- Alex Cardona led the Owls with 12 digs.
The Owls officially open the 2017 campaign at the Stetson Invitational on Friday, August 25 at 11 a.m. on Central Connecticut.
- FAU -