Oct. 8, 2017
Pacific Palisades, Calif. -- Florida Atlantic University women's tennis standout Aliona Bolsova finished second at the ITA All-American Championship at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif. in one of the most impressive performances in program history. Bolsova powered her way through a field of the top collegiate tennis players in the nation before falling to Vanderbilt's Fernanda Contreras 6-3, 6-3 in the finals.
""Aliona helped put women's tennis in the national rankings as a qualifier and making it all the way to the finals," FAU Head Coach Marcy Hora-Cava said. "Great things to come from FAU women's tennis. It is incredible to even get accepted into this tournament and to have a member of our team make it to the finals and beat so many outstanding players along the way is impressive."
• Bolsova entered the tournament ranked No. 30 in singles by the ITA
• In Saturday's semi-finals, the sophomore took down FIU's Andrea Lazaro 6-1, 6-3 to move on to the finals
• On Friday, Bolsova beat Texas Tech's Felicity Maltby 6-4, 6-0 in the round of 16 to advance.
• Later in the day, Bolsova upended USC's Gabby Smith 7-5, 6-1 to clinch her spot in Saturday's semifinals.
• Bolsova was the No. 5 seed in the qualifying rounds where she opened with a 6-4, 6-2 win over TCU's Donika Bashota and a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Clemson's Marie Leduc on Tuesday.
• The Spaniard continued her run with a 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-4 win against Makenna Jones of North Carolina to advance to the Main Draw Singles.
• Bolsova opened the Main Draw with her 6-3, 6-3 win against Idaho's Marianna Petrel.
• Bolsova and Natalia Boltinskaya competed in doubles action with an 8-5 win over Harvard on Tuesday and an 8-4 win on Wednesday against the 7th-seeded duo from Oregon.
• Their doubles run came to an end in the final qualifying round in an 8-1 loss to a duo from Virginia on Wednesday.