TAMPA, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University Women’s Tennis team opened their fall slate with seven singles and four doubles victories over the weekend at the Bedford Cup in Tampa, Fla.
• Senior Jennifer Leib opened the tournament with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Janvhi Clark before suffering a 7-6, 6-0 loss to Aylen Hubeaut in the semifinals and a 6-2, 6-2 loss to Madison Gallegos in the playoffs.
• Newcomer Kristen Thomas fell 6-2, 6-4 in the quarterfinals of the Elina Svitolina flight before battling back with two wins in the consolations, beating Rehaana Butt in the quarterfinals and Karen Machisa in the consolation finals 6-0, 6-1.
• Freshman Jemi Aguilar suffered a 6-3, 6-4 loss in her opening singles match against Sofia Perez before losing 6-1, 6-0 to Sara Culbertson and 6-0, 6-4 to Sophia Osabouhien in the consolations.
• In the Sloane Stephens flight, freshman Kyndall Misak topped Rachel Harden 6-1, 6-4 and Sophia Blanno 6-4, 6-3 in the semifinals.
• Sophomore Naiya Oden, also in the Sloan Stephens flight, beat Megan Horwitz in comeback fashion 2-6, 6-0, 6-1 and downed Marcela Ifju 6-0, 6-3 in the semis.
• Marisa Ruiz suffered a 6-0, 3-6, 3-6 defeat in her opener against Julia Ascua before a 3-6, 6-7 loss to Lucie Prochazkova and a 4-6, 2-6 loss to Eva Nyikos in the playoffs.
• Misak and Oden paired up in a 7-6 win in the doubles quarterfinals before a 6-4 win in the semis. Their run came to an end with a 6-3 loss in the Doubles 4 finals.
• Aguilar and Thoms won their doubles match 6-3 while Ruiz and Leib teamed up to win 6-2
FAU goes to Athens, Ga. for the ITA Southeast Regional starting on Oct. 19 before returning to Florida for the FIU Hidden Dual Oct. 27-29.