BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University women’s tennis team battled Pittsburgh, FIU, Miami and severe weather at the Miami Fall Invitational this weekend.
“Having this opportunity to compete and get some wins over an ACC school was a great opportunity,” FAU Head Coach Marcy Hora-Cava said. “This weekend showed some clear weaknesses that we need to focus on, but more importantly proved to each player that we can compete and win against the cream of the crop.”
• Marisa Ruiz topped Pitt’s Lolade Ogungbesan 6-4, 6-4 for FAU’s first win of the meet on Friday.
• Alisa Rudenko followed with a 6-1, 5-4, ret. victory over Pitt’s Jovana Knezevic before play was suspended due to weather.
• When play resumed on Saturday, senior Heather Walton defeated Pitt’s Natsumi Okamoto convincingly, 6-1, 6-2
• In the last match of Saturday, Lyndsey Boos and Kaitlyn Walker teamed up to beat the Pitt duo of Clara Lucas and Gabriela Rezende 6-4.
• Bianca Biglione, Ana Gutierrez, Naiya Oden and Laura Fabrizi also competed over the weekend.
The Owls will travel to compete in the Bedford Cup at USF next weekend.