Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Florida Atlantic Women's Tennis team opened its fall campaign at the 11th annual Stony Brook Classic over the weekend and boasted several strong performances.
“Bianca Biglione and Heather Walton demonstrated excellent coachability and ventured out of their comfort zones to play a more aggressive and efficient game style," said FAU assistant coach Caroline Wheelen. "I'm very excited at the off-court team chemistry and the ladies are wonderful and supporting of each other."
- Bianca Biglione marched her way to the finals of the B group after coming back to defeat SJU's Stephanie Elgegren 4-6, 6-2, 10-7 in the opening round. After topping FDU's Tatiana Eftenoiu 6-4, 6-3, Biglione defeated Tess Trinka of Bowdoin 6-4, 3-6, 10-4 before falling in the final round to SJU's Olaya Inclan Solis.
- Heather Walton also made a run to the D group semi-finals, defeating Bowdoin's Maddie Rolph 7-6 (8), 6-3 and Navy's Simone Babb 6-3, 3-6, 10-5 before losing a close battle with SJU's Jaide Collins.
- Marisa Ruiz won her first match of the fall against Catalina Rico of Navy 6-1, 6-7, 10-8 to advance to the quarterfinals.
- Senior Lyndsey Boos knocked off Navy's Sabrina Jiang in straight sets to win her opener 6-3, 7-5 in the C group.
- Alisa Rudenko battled her way to the finals of the backdraw with wins of 9-7 and 8-3
- Naiya Oden earned her first collegiate win as she and Rudenko topped a Navy duo in doubles play by a 6-1 mark.
- Boos and Walton paired up to beat a Bryant team in doubles play 6-4.
The Owls will travel south to Coral Gables for the Miami Fall Invite, Sept. 23-25.