May 13, 2005
CORAL GABLES, FL - Florida Atlantic University came up empty in its bid for an upset at the NCAA Women's Tennis Regional in Coral Gables Friday afternoon. The Owls' season came to an end in a 4-0 loss to the University of Miami in the opening round of the regional. FAU, which gained an NCAA berth by winning the Atlantic Sun Conference championship last month, finishes its season 9-11.
UM, ranked no. 9 in the nation, won the first point of the match by claiming two victories in doubles action. Megan Bradley and Staci Stevens defeated FAU's Katherine Bartnik and Veronika Koksova, 8-4, at no. 2. The Hurricanes then clinched the point with a win at no. 3.
In singles, the Hurricanes made it 2-0 when Stevens defeated Koksova, 6-0, 6-3, at no. 2. Melissa Applebaum followed with a 6-1, 6-0 win at no. 3 over Bartnik to give UM a 3-0 lead. The match was clinched when Patricia Starzyk defeated Elodie Wendling at no. 4.
The loss marks the end of the collegiate careers of Alena Dvorakova, Koksova, and Krystel Borg. Dvorakova's match against the nation's top-ranked player, Megan Bradley, did not finish. Dvorakova, a two-time A-Sun Player-of-the-Year, ends her FAU career as the school's all-time winningest Division I player with 90 singles and 67 doubles victories. Koksova played two years for the Owls while Borg saw her four-year career cut short due to an injury earlier this season.
Miami (FL) 4, Florida Atlantic 0
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) vs Megan Bradley (UM), DNF.
2. Staci Stevens (UM) d. Veronika Koksova (FAU) 6-0, 6-3.
3. Melissa Applebaum (UM) d. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) 6-1, 6-0.
4. Patricia Starzyk (UM) d. Elodie Wendling (FAU) 6-0, 6-1.
5. Claudia Kecht (FAU) vs Audrey Banada (UM), DNF.
6. Pia Terol (FAU) vs Emily Mowery (UM), DNF.
1. Dvorakova/Wendling (FAU) vs Applebaum/Banada (UM), DNF.
2. Bradley/Stevens (UM) d. Bartnik/Koksova (FAU) 8-4.
3. Caren/Seenauth/Starzyk (UM) d. Kecht/Terol (FAU) 8-0.