Jessica Burrow was involved in two of FAU's four points.
April 17, 2003
DELAND, FL - No. 67 Florida Atlantic University used a tough doubles point as momentum before cruising to victory in the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament. FAU, the no. 2 seed, defeated seventh seeded Georgia State University, 4-0, Thursday afternoon in DeLand Florida. FAU improves its record to 17-5, 4-0 in the A-Sun.
Initially, the match started close. The Lady Owls split the first two doubles matches. Jessica Burrow and Maria Aguirre-Gomez, the 35th ranked doubles tandem in the nation, had to fight to give FAU a 1-0 lead. Burrow and Aguirre-Gomez rallied from an early deficit to win, 8-5, against Rebecca Mitchell and Karmelina Rivera. However, doubles was as close as GSU would come to registering a point.
In singles, it was a race as to which Lady Owl would finish first. Burrow picked up where she left off beating Christina O'Neal, 6-0, 6-1, at no. 6.
Alena Dvorakova followed suit dropping Anne Breiholtz, 6-2, 6-3, at no. 1. Dvorakova's win marked the 19th consecutive victory for the nations 70th ranked player. Five minutes later, Karolina Roubickova put GSU away winning, 6-3, 6-3, at no. 2.
The last three singles matches were left unfinished with FAU up one set in each.
FAU will face third seeded University of Central Florida Friday, April 18, at 10:00 am in the A-Sun semifinals. The match will be played at Cummings Tennis Courts in DeLand FL. These two teams met earlier in the year with FAU taking advantage of a UCF five-player lineup to win, 5-2.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Anne Breiholtz (GSU) 6-2, 6-3.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) def. Annamaria Forgacs (GSU) 6-3, 6-3.
3. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) vs. Karmelina Rivera (GSU) undecided.
4. Tania Rivera (FAU) vs. Rebecca Mitchell (GSU) undecided.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) vs. Karine Etienne (GSU) undecided.
6. Jessica Burrow (FAU) def. Christina O'Neal (GSU) 6-0, 6-1.
1. Breiholtz/Forgacs (GSU) def. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) 8-3.
2. Aguirre-Gomez/Burrow (FAU) def. Mitchell/Rivera (GSU) 8-6.
3. Borg/Rivera (FAU) def. Etienne/O'Neal (GSU) 8-0.