Alena Dvorakova, ranked no. 112, concluded the season by winning 20 consecutive matches.
April 16, 2004
Macon, GA - Florida Atlantic University's late rally came up just shy as the Lady Owls fell to Central Florida University, 4-3, in the Atlantic Sun Conference semifinals at the John Drew Smith Tennis Center on Friday. UCF raced out to a 3-0 lead before FAU turned it on to force a 3-3 tie. Freshman Katherine Bartnik tallied the tying point. The Lady Owls loss concludes their season with a record of 16-6.
No. 2 seed UCF opened the match by winning the doubles point, claiming the no. 2 and 3 matches.
UCF carried the momentum into singles, quickly recording the first two points in the singles play. The Golden Knights won the points at no. 4 and 5.
But the Lady Owls answered back winning three consecutive matches. Alena Dvorakova started the swing, winning at no. 1, 7-6, 6-2. Veronika Koksova won the no. 3 match after dropping the first set, 1-6, 6-2, 6-2. Bartnik also rallied from down a set to win at no. 6, 4-6, 6-0, 6-4.
That's when Anna Westin came to the rescue for the Golden Knights, winning a grueling match no. 2 position, 7-6, 7-5.
Dvorakova combined with doubles partner Karolina Roubickova to win at no. 1, 8-2.
Friday's match concludes another successful season for the Lady Owls. Dvorakova lead the Lady Owls in wins for the second year in a row. The junior won 20 straight singles matches, finishing 20-2 in dual match play. Two other players reached double-digits in victories. Koksova finished 14-5, while Roubickova notched 11 victories compared to just four losses.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Julie Pecastaing (UCF) 7-6, 6-2.
2. Anna Westin (UCF) def. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) 7-6, 7-5.
3. Veronika Koksova (FAU) def. Kristina Lohmos (UCF) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2.
4. Pam Fernandez (UCF) def. Krystel Borg 6-1, 6-1.
5. Ola Luczak (UCF) def. Stephanie Beaulieu (FAU) 6-4, 6-2.
6. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) def. Megan Hunter 4-6, 6-0, 6-4.
1. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) def. Pecastaing/Luczak (UCF) 8-2.
2. Lohmos/Westin (UCF) def. Borg/Koksova (FAU) 8-3.
3. Fernandez/Hunter (UCF) def. Bartnik/Beaulieu (FAU) 8-4.