April 15, 2005
DeLAND, FL - Florida Atlantic University defeated Jacksonville University, 4-3, Friday in a quarterfinal match at the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament in DeLand, FL. The Owls (7-10) fell behind 1-0 after dropping the doubles point but came back to win four singles matches to claim the 4-3 victory. FAU, the no. 4 seed, will next face UCF in a semifinal match Saturday afternoon.
Doubles action started with the Dolphins winning at no. 3. FAU's team of Katherine Bartnik and Veronika Koksova then defeated Dana Antonioli and Daphne Bourot, 8-3, at no. 2. JU (10-10) followed with a win at no. 1 to clinch the doubles point.
FAU began singles play knowing it needed to win four of the six matches. It started with Pia Terol's 6-1, 6-0 victory over Megan Williams at no. 6 that tied the score at 1-1. The Dolphins moved back ahead, 2-1, with a win at no. 2 before FAU tied it, 2-2, on a 6-4, 6-2 win by Elodie Wendling at no. 4.
The Owls took their first lead when Claudia Kecht defeated Antonioli, 6-0, 2-6, 4-2, at no. 5 to make it 3-2. JU then tied the match at 3-3 when Emese Sulyos won at no. 1.
The decisive match came down to Bartnik and Nisrine Hajbane at no. 3. Bartnik won the first set 6-2 and dropped the second set 6-2. She came back, however, to win the third set in a tiebreaker to clinch the match for the Owls.
Florida Atlantic next faces top-seeded UCF Saturday at 9:00am with the winner advancing to Sunday's championship match.
No. 4 Florida Atlantic 4, No. 5 Jacksonville 3
1. Emese Sulyos (JU) d. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) 7-6, 6-4.
2. Lena Willi (JU) d. Veronika Koksova (FAU) 6-3, 6-1.
3. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) d. Nisrine Hajbane (JU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6.
4. Elodie Wendling (FAU) d. Daphne Bourot (JU) 6-4, 6-2.
5. Claudia Kecht (FAU) d. Dana Antonioli (JU) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2.
6. Pia Terol (FAU) d. Megan Williams (JU) 6-1, 6-0.
1. Hajbane/Willi (JU) d. Dvorakova/Wendling (FAU) 9-8.
2. Bartnik/Koksova (FAU) d. Antonioli/Bourot (JU) 8-3.
3. Sulyos/Williams (JU) d. Kecht/Terol (FAU) 8-3.