Maria Aguirre-Gomez went 2-0 in singles over the weekend.
April 14, 2003
Blacksburg, VA - After dropping its first match in its last nine tries on Saturday, no. 67 Florida Atlantic University bounced back with a 4-3 win over Maryland-Baltimore County Sunday afternoon. The Lady Owls had strong play from the top of their lineup with the top three singles players all recording two set victories. FAU finished the regular season 16-5 and is riding high as it heads into this week's Atlantic Sun Tournament.
The morning started strong for the Lady Owls as they began the match against MBC by sweeping the doubles matches. Maria Aguirre-Gomez teamed with Jessica Burrow to lead the team in doubles at no. 1. The combination defeated Tia Kaasalainen and Lana Khralina, 8-6, and now stand 10-1 as a duo.
The 1-0 lead didn't last long as the Retrievers bounced back to tie the score 1-1. That's when FAU surged ahead for good by winning the next three singles matches. Alena Dvorakova blew by Jana Karaskova, 6-2, 6-1, at no. 1. Shortly thereafter Tania Rivera and Aguirre-Gomez won at no. 3 and 2 respectively, putting MBC away for good.
MBC won the last two singles matches to make the final score close.
Seeding for the upcoming A-Sun tournament will be announced April 14.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Jana Karaskova (MBC) 6-2, 6-1.
2. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) def. Anita Pushpanathan (MBC) 6-3, 6-2.
3. Tania Rivera (FAU) def. Tia Kaasalainen (MBC) 6-1, 6-4.
4. Ale Pedergnana (MBC) def. Stephanie Beaulieu (FAU) 6-1, 6-1.
5. Lana Khralina (MBC) def. Krystel Borg (FAU) 1-6, 6-4, 7-7.
6. Aimee Lim (MBC) def. Stephanie Oldock (FAU) 6-4, 6-1.
1. Aguirre-Gomez/Jessica Burrow (FAU) def. Kaasalainen/Khvalina (MBC) 8-6.
2. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) def. Karaskova/Pedergnana (MBC) 8-4.
3. Borg/Rivera (FAU) def. Pushpanathan/Lim (MBC) 8-4.