Alena Dvorakova has won 17 consecutive singles matches.
April 12, 2003
Blacksburg, VA - Florida Atlantic University saw its eight match win streak come to an end Saturday afternoon against no. 60 Virginia Tech. The Hokies squeaked by the Lady Owls, 4-3. Alena Dvorakova, the nation's 70th ranked singles player, forced a 3-3 tie late in the match when she defeated no. 106 Kristen Stubbs at no. 1 but FAU could never quite get over the hump. With the loss, no. 67 FAU falls to 15-5 on the year.
Trailing 2-0, FAU cut the lead in half when Krystel Borg pulled out a win at no. 5. Following Borg's victory, the Hokies responded with a win of their own to make the score 3-1.
That's when FAU made its run. Maria Aguirre-Gomez defeated Elissa Kinard, 6-3, 6-3, at no. 3. Dvorakova next followed with her victory deadlocking the score at three. Unfortunately for the Lady Owls, that was as close as they would get to victory as Virginia Tech held on to win the last match.
FAU will remain in Blacksburg, VA to face Maryland-Baltimore County Sunday at 9:00 am.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Kristen Stubbs (VT) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5.
2. Carolyn Kramer (VT) def. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) 4-6, 6-3, 2-6.
3. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) def. Elissa Kinard (VT) 6-3, 6-3.
4. Felice Lam (VT) def. Tania Rivera (FAU) 6-3, 6-0.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) def. Ginger Lowdermilk (VT) 6-3, 6-0.
6. Zdenka Videnova (VT) def. Stephanie Beaulieu (FAU) 6-2, 6-1.
1. Kinard/Kramer (VT) def. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) 9-7.
2. Lowdermilk/Stubbs (VT) def. Aguirre-Gomez/Burrow (FAU) 9-8.
3. Lam/Videnova (VT) def. Borg/Rivera (FAU) 9-7.
FAU Tennis Player Bianca Biglione Named to...
Two FAU Women’s Tennis Players Earn All-C...
Women's Tennis Dropped C-USA Tournament Match...
Tennis Duo Honored for Academic Success
Women's Tennis Falls to Brown 6-0
Women's Tennis Drops Close Match to Marquette 4-3
Women's Tennis Roll Against Rhode Island 7-0