March 27, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University picked up a 4-2 victory over the University of Arkansas-Little Rock Sunday in non-conference women's tennis action in Boca Raton, FL. No. 98 Alena Dvorakova extended her winning streak to 12 in a contest decided by singles play only. The win improves FAU to 6-9 overall. UALR (13-3) had its five-match winning streak snapped.
FAU's Katherine Bartnik was the first to finish in a dominating 6-0, 6-0 victory over Jenna Hirdle at no. 2. Leading 1-0 at that point, Dvorakova put away Outi Jarvinen, 6-1, 6-2, at no.1 to make it 2-0.
The Trojans came back with a win at no. 3 to pull to within 2-1. The teams split the next two matches as FAU's Pia Terol defeated Laetitia Bourgeon, 6-4, 6-7, 10-8, at no. 5.
With FAU leading 3-2, the decisive match came down to no. 4 where the Owls' Claudia Kecht was battling Ellie Vicary. Vicary had won the first set 7-6 before Kecht came back to win the second set 6-2, and the third set 7-5, to give FAU the 4-2 victory.
Florida Atlantic is next in action April 3 when it hosts Florida International in its final regular season match.
Florida Atlantic 4, Arkansas-Little Rock 2
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU d. Outi Jarvinen (UALR) 6-1, 6-2.
2. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) d. Jenna Hirdle (UALR) 6-0, 6-0.
3. Rosario Negrete (UALR) d. Elodie Wendling (FAU) 6-1, 6-3.
4. Claudia Kecht (FAU) d. Ellie Vicary (UALR) 6-7, 6-2, 7-5.
5. Pia Terol (FAU) d. Laetitia Bourgeon (UALR) 6-4, 6-7, 10-8.
6. Katie Prokop (UALR) d. Jessica Williams (FAU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
Did Not Play