March 22, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University capped off a perfect week Saturday afternoon. The Lady Owls dispatched of Cornell University, 6-1, improving their record to 13-4. FAU won three matches for the week by a total score of 16-5. The Lady Owls made quick work of the Big Red, bolting out to a 4-0 lead. Combined, the first three Lady Owls to complete their matches lost only seven of 43 games.
For the sixth consecutive match, FAU started by taking the doubles point. Maria Aguirre-Gomez teamed with Jessica Burrow to win their seventh consecutive doubles match, 8-2. The duos of Krystel Borg, Tania Rivera and, Alena Dvorakova, Karolina Roubickova also combined for doubles victories.
In singles, Lady Owls one through five recorded wins. Borg was the first to win, blanking Kate Sternberg, 6-0, 6-0 at no. 5.
Dvorakova improved her win streak to 14 at no. 1. While Roubickova continued her hot play as well. The junior won her match, 6-1, 6-2, at no. 2. Roubickova has now won eight consecutive singles matches. Steadily, Dvorakova and Roubickova have become a formidable one-two combination.
Meanwhile, Aguirre-Gomez won at no. 3, and Rivera won at no. 4. Rivera became the fifth Lady Owl to win ten singles matches.
FAU will next host SMU March 18th at 12:00 noon. The Lady Owls are just a win away from equaling last year's win total, with four matches remaining.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Akane Kokubo (CU) 6-1, 6-3.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) def. Laura Leigh Tallent (CU) 6-1, 6-2.
3. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) def. Erika Takeuchi (CU) 6-4, 6-1.
4. Tania Rivera (FAU) def. Nicole Chiu (CU) 3-6, 6-0, (10-2).
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) def Kate Sternberg (CU) 6-0, 6-0.
6. Melissa Tu (CU) def. Stephanie Beaulieu (FAU) 2-6, 6-3, (10-8).
1. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) def. Chiu/Kokubo (CU) 8-6.
2. Aguirre-Gomez/Burrow (FAU) def. Mollie Edison/Liying Wang (CU) 8-2.
3. Borg/Rivera (FAU) def. Takeuchi/Tu (CU) 8-2.