March 21, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL- Florida Atlantic University led Columbia University from start to finish during its 5-2 victory Friday evening. For the second time this season FAU has won five consecutive matches. The Lady Owls record is now an impressive 12-4.
Columbia pulled within 3-2 before Krystel Borg locked up FAU's victory. The sophomore defeated Lucia Aniello, 6-4, 7-6 at no. 4.
As she has throughout much of the year, Alena Dvorakova, won her match at no. 1. Dvorakova, ranked no. 113 in women's Division I tennis, breezed by Shelly Mittal, 6-3, 6-0. Dvorakova's 13th consecutive win gave the Lady Owls an early 2-0 lead.
With FAU leading 2-1, Maria Aguirre-Gomez recorded her 10th dual match singles victory of the season.
Junior Tania Rivera was pushed into the third set before she could record her sixth consecutive singles victory. Rivera came from behind to win, 2-6, 6-0, 6-4.
FAU swept the doubles matches with Aguirre-Gomez and Jessica Burrow improving their record as a duo to 6-0.
The Lady Owls will host Cornell University Saturday morning at 10:00 am.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Shelly Mittal (CU) 6-3, 6-0.
2. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) def. Molly Condit (CU) 6-2, 6-2.
3. Tania Rivera (FAU) def. Melissa Nguyen (CU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4.
4. Krystel Borg (FAU) def. Lucia Aniello (CU) 6-4, 7-6.
5. Miriam Rahili (CU) def. Stephanie Beaulieu (FAU) 6-2, 6-0.
6. Eunice Chao (CU) def. Stephanie Oldock (FAU) 6-1, 6-2.
1. Dvorakova/Karolina Roubickova (FAU) def. Aniello/Mittal (CU) 8-3.
2. Aguirre-Gomez/Jessica Burrow (FAU) def. Chao/Nguyen (CU) 8-2.
3. Borg/Rivera (FAU) def. Iana Dimkova/Condit (CU) 8-2.
Women's Tennis Wraps Up Regular Season Versus FIU
Women's Tennis Falls 5-2 Versus No. 45 Miami
Gutierrez, Owls Win Sixth Straight 6-1 Over Towson
FAU Player of the Week Honors go to Trio of...
Women's Tennis Tops GSU, NJIT to Win Fifth in a...
Gutierrez Clinches Match as Owls Nip NIU 4-3
Women's Tennis Handles George Washington 4-1