March 19, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL - As hot as the weather has been of late, Florida Atlantic University women's tennis has been even hotter. The Lady Owls rolled to their fourth straight victory Wednesday afternoon defeating the University of Massachusetts, 6-1. The Minutewomen could only amass one point, winning only one set. With the win, FAU improves to 11-4 overall. FAU started the match by sweeping the doubles matches, and then ran off five consecutive singles wins before UMasstallied a point.
Leading the streaking Lady Owls is Alena Dvorakova. Dvorakova was the first FAU player to capture a singles win, beating Sasha Edelstein, 6-0, 6-2, at no. 1. Dvorakova has now won 12 consecutive singles matches.
Dvorakova isn't the only Lady Owl on a tear, Karolina Roubickova, Tania Rivera, and Maria Aguirre-Gomez each have winning streaks of their own. Including wins today, Roubickova, Rivera, and Aguirre-Gomez, have won seven, five, and four consecutive singles matches.
Krystel Borg also scored a singles victory, making her the second FAU player to reach 10 dual match wins. Borg pushed her dual match record to 10-5.
FAU hosts Columbia University at 3:00 pm, March 21.
Also, FAU's match on Sunday, March 21 with Cornell has been moved to Saturday, March 23.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Sasha Edelstein (UM) 6-0, 6-2.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) def. Stephanie Price (UM) 6-4, 6-2.
3. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) def. Camilla Knight (UM) 6-2, 6-1.
4. Tania Rivera (FAU) def. Jafra Depontes (UM) 6-3, 6-1.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) def. Dorothy Iwanowicz (UM) 6-0, 6-4.
6. Susan Hyarns (UM) def. Stephanie Beaulieu (FAU) 6-4, 3-6 (7-6).
1. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) def. Depontes/Price (UM) 8-6.
2. Aguirre-Gomez/Jessica Burrow (FAU) def. Edelstein/Iwanowicz (UM) 8-2.
3. Borg/Rivera (FAU) def. Hyarns/Knight (UM) 8-5.