March 13, 2005
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University defeated Nova Southeastern, 6-1, in women's tennis action Sunday in Boca Raton. FAU took the doubles point before winning five singles matches in cruising to the non-conference victory. With the win, FAU improves to 3-6 on the year.
FAU picked up doubles' wins from the team of Alena Dvorakova and Elodie Wendling at no. 1, who defeated NSU's Jessica Homerlein and Tsippy Waterman, 8-4. At no. 2, FAU's Katherine Bartnik and Vernonica Koksova picked up an 8-2 win over Anna Schmidtmann and Simin Schmitz. The no. 3 doubles match did not finish.
In singles play, FAU picked up straight sets victories in the five matches that were played. Dvorkova was a 6-3, 6-1 winner over Waterman at no. 1 while Koksova defeated Bribi 6-1, 6-2 at no. 2. Bartnik, Claudia Kecht, and Pia Terol were also winners at no. 3-5, respectively.
Florida Atlantic next faces Illinois-Chicago Monday morning at 11:00am in Boca Raton.
Florida Atlantic 6, Nova Southeastern 1
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) d. Tsippy Waterman (NSU) 6-3, 6-1.
2. Veronica Koksova (FAU) d. Stefanie Gribi (NSU) 6-1, 6-2.
3. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) d. Jessica Homerlein (NSU) 6-1, 6-4.
4. Claudia Kecht (FAU) d. Andrea Moncada (NSU) 6-2, 6-4.
5. Pia Terol (FAU) d. Anna Schmidtmann (NSU) 6-4, 6-4.
6. Simin Schmitz (NSU), d. Jessica Williams (FAU), Def.
1. Dvorakova/Elodie Wendling (FAU) d. Homerlein/Waterman (NSU) 8-4.
2. Bartnik/Koksova (FAU) d. Schmidtmann/Schmitz (NSU) 8-2.
3. Krystel Borg/Katharina Terescenko (FAU) vs Bribi/Moncada, DNF.
Women's Tennis Falls 5-2 Versus No. 45 Miami
Gutierrez, Owls Win Sixth Straight 6-1 Over Towson
FAU Player of the Week Honors go to Trio of...
Women's Tennis Tops GSU, NJIT to Win Fifth in a...
Gutierrez Clinches Match as Owls Nip NIU 4-3
Women's Tennis Handles George Washington 4-1
Women's Tennis Sweeps UConn 4-0