Krystel Borg finished off Yale with a clutch win at no. 5.
March 13, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Krystel Borg capped off a furious rally as Florida Atlantic University came from behind, beating no. 75 Yale University, 4-3, Saturday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. Trailing 3-2 late, the Lady Owls needed to win the final two singles matches to notch their seventh consecutive victory. Borg and teammate Veronika Koksova each won three set matches to put FAU over the top. FAU improves to 10-3 on the year.
FAU saw Yale steal the doubles point for an early 1-0 lead. That's when FAU made its first rally.
Alena Dvorakova tied the match at 1-1 when she defeated Karlyn Martin, 7-6, 6-0, at no. 1. Dvorakova has now won 11 consecutive singles matches.
Karolina Roubickova followed Dvorakova with a win, giving the Lady Owls their first lead of the day, 2-1. Roubickova breezed by Christine Alford, 6-3, 6-1, at no. 2.
Yale struck back, though, winning the next two matches at no. 6 and 4 to lead 3-2.
That's when Borg and Koksova stepped up. Koksova, trailing one set to none, came back to win her match handily at no. 3. The junior defeated Reshmi Srinath, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1, at no. 3. That victory evened the match at 3-3. That meant the winner of Borg's match at no. 5 would decide the final outcome.
Borg, after dropping the first set, appeared to have the match in hand during the third set. But Yale wouldn't give in. Down, 5-2, in the third set, YU's Olivia Nix fought back, winning two breaks to tie the set at 5-5. Borg, however, wouldn't let the Lady Owls lose. The junior from Pontault Combault, France won the next two games, winning the match 2-6, 6-1, 7-5.
FAU hosts Florida A&M, 10:00 am March 14, in Boca Raton, FL.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Karlyn Martin (YU) 7-6, 6-0.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) def. Christine Alford (YU) 6-3, 6-1.
3. Veronika Koksova (FAU) def. Reshmi Srinath (YU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1.
4. Rashmee Patil (YU) def. Tania Rivera (FAU) 6-2, 7-5.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) def. Stephanie White (YU) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5.
6. Olivia Nix (YU) def. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) 6-3, 6-4.
1. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) vs. Ashley Martin/K. Martin unfinished.
2. Aimee Kim/Patil (YU) def. Bartnik/Koksova (FAU) 8-3.
3. Alford/Nix (YU) def. Borg/Rivera (FAU) 8-4.