March 10, 2005
BOCA RATON - The Florida Atlantic University women's tennis team lost 4-3 to a short-handed Richmond squad on Thursday afternoon, dropping the Owls to 2-5, 2-2 A-Sun. Senior Alena Dvorakova improved to 6-1 in 2005 dual match play with a 6-4, 4-6, 10-3 victory over Lindsay Cox at No. 1 singles, while freshman Pia Terol won her second consecutive singles match.
With only five available players, the Spiders (4-5) were forced to start doubles play with a 1-0 deficit, although that didn't come into play as Richmond won at the first two positions to take the doubles point.
Dvorakova took three sets to overcome Cox, but the Owls dropped all three matches at positions 2-4 to put themselves out of contention. Terol took a straight-sets victory over fellow freshman Jelena Zivanovic at No. 5, while Katherina Terescenko picked up her first win of her collegiate career by default at the six spot.
The Owls continue play on Friday with a home contest against Boston College and conclude the week when they host Nova Southeastern on Sunday. Both matches are at 11 a.m.
Richmond 4, Florida Atlantic 3
1. Cox/Wolfgram (UR) d. Dvorakova/Wendling, 8-4
2. Klein/Carter (UR) d. Claudia Kecht/Williams, 8-0
3. Bartnik/Terol (FAU) won by default
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) d. Lindsay Cox, 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
2. Robin Carter (UR) d. Veronika Koksova, 6-4, 6-1
3. Courtney Klein (UR) d. Katherine Bartnik, 6-3, 6-3
4. Meghan Wolfgram (UR) d. Jessica Williams, 6-1, 6-1
5. Pia Terol (FAU) d. Jelene Zivanovic, 6-4, 6-2
6. Katharina Terescenko (FAU) won by default