Veronika Koksova put the finishing touches on FAU's fifth consecutive victory.
March 10, 2004
BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University found itself in hole early but battled back in singles play to defeat Georgia State University, 4-2, Wednesday afternoon in Boca Raton, FL. Trailing, 1-0, after losing the doubles point, the Lady Owls rattled off three consecutive singles wins before Veronika Koksova put the finishing touches on the match. The win improves FAU to 8-3 on the year and 2-1 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
GSU fell to 5-5 and 2-1 in A-Sun play.
Karolina Roubickova, Tania Rivera, and Alena Dvorakova got the ball rolling for FAU, wrapping up their matches within minutes of each other. Roubickova finished first, beating Annamaria Forgacs, 6-3, 6-1, at no. 2. Meanwhile, Rivera, playing at no. 4, defeated Rebecca Mitchell, 6-1, 6-2.
Dvorakova followed with a win at no. 1, pushing the FAU's lead to 3-1. The win was Dvorakova's ninth consecutive.
The Panthers battled back by stealing the point at no. 6 before Koksova ended the match. Koksova won, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, at no. 3. The junior has now won six of the last seven matches she has finished.
The Lady Owls next host no. 68 Virginia Tech, 5:00 pm March 11, in Boca Raton, FL.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Anne Breiholtz (GSU) 6-3, 6-2.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) def. Annamaria Forgacs (GSU) 6-3, 6-1.
3. Veronika Koksova (FAU) def. Simona Foltyn (GSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
4. Tania Rivera (FAU) def. Rebecca Mitchell (GSU) 6-1, 6-2.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) def. Ania Dolinska (GSU) unfinished.
6. Karmelina Rivera (GSU) def. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) 6-2, 0-6, 3-6.
1. Breiholz/Forgacs (GSU) def. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) 8-4.
2. Foltyn/Rivera (GSU) def. Borg/Rivera (FAU) 8-6.
3. Bartnik/Koksova (FAU) def. Dolinska/Mitchell (GSU) 8-6.