March 10, 2003
BOCA RATON, FL - The no. 75 Florida Atlantic University women's tennis team defeated Southern Illinois, 7-0, Monday afternoon in Boca Raton. With the non-conference win, FAU improves to 8-4 on the year.
The Lady Owls breezed by the Salukis in doubles, allowing a total of nine points in their three-match sweep. FAU took the 1-0 lead into singles and had an easy time of it, dropping just one set in six victories. At no. 1, FAU's Alena Dvorakova wasted no time in defeating Alejandro Blanco, 6-0, 6-0. Karolina Roubickova also picked up a win at no. 2 with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Maria Blanco.
Florida Atlantic next hosts Miami University (OH) March 13 at 2:00pm.
FAU 7, Southern Illinois 0
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) d. Alejandra Blanco (SIU) 6-0, 6-0.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) d. Maria Blanco (SIU) 6-2, 6-4.
3. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) d. Jessica Knitter (SIU) 6-1, 6-2.
4. Tania Rivera (FAU) d. Zuzana Palovic (SIU) 6-1, 6-1.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) d. Sophie Bedard (SIU) 6-1, 6-0.
6. Stephanie Oldock (FAU) d. Zoya Honarmand (SIU) 7-6, 4-6, 7-6.
1. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) d. A. Blanco/M. Blanco (SIU) 8-4.
2. Aguirre-Gomez/Jessica Burrow (FAU) d. Honarmand/Knitter (SIU) 8-3.
3. Borg/Rivera (FAU) d. Bedard/Palovic (SIU) 8-2.
Women's Tennis Falls 5-2 Versus No. 45 Miami
Gutierrez, Owls Win Sixth Straight 6-1 Over Towson
FAU Player of the Week Honors go to Trio of...
Women's Tennis Tops GSU, NJIT to Win Fifth in a...
Gutierrez Clinches Match as Owls Nip NIU 4-3
Women's Tennis Handles George Washington 4-1
Women's Tennis Sweeps UConn 4-0