Feb. 21, 2014
Boca Raton, Fla (Feb 21, 2014) – Florida Atlantic women’s tennis was narrowly defeated on Friday, 4-3 by Stetson. FAU needed four wins in singles matches to pull out the victory after losing the doubles point early in the match. The Owls won 3 of 5 singles matches with FAU senior Stephanie Cardullo still battling for the final point. Cardullo pushed the first set to a tiebreaker before falling in the second set. Cardullo was defeated by Andrea Crespo 7-6 (7-2), 7-5.
The FAU freshman played well with both underclassmen securing victories during the match. FAU’s Kandis Legall defeated Diana Bukajeva 6-4, 6-4 with match point coming on a court violation, issued after Bukajeva argued with the referee over a call. FAU freshman Lyndsey Boos also won defeating Isabella Fernandez 6-4, 6-4. FAU Junior Catalina Ene defeated MaryBlue Stauffer-McDowell 6-0, 6-2. Ene and Boos won the FAU’s only doubles match defeating Lindsey Cable and Eveline Lepinay 8-7 (7-5).
The Owls take the court again Saturday Feb. 22, at 11a.m. against FGCU in Boca Raton. Come out and cheer on the women’s tennis team and get a chance to see Owlsley as he Hoots for a FAU victory!
Stetson 4, Florida Atlantic 3
1. Kandis Legall (FAU) def. Diana Bukajeva (STET) 6-4, 6-4
2. Andrea Crespo (STET) def. Stephanie Cardullo (FAU) 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
3. Lyndsey Boos (FAU) def. Isabella Fernandez (STET) 6-4, 6-4
4. Catalina Ene (FAU) def. MB StaufferMacDowell (STET) 6-0, 6-2
5. Cari Berry (STET) def. Claire-M. Andrews (FAU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Carolina Meregalli (STET) def. Taylor Briggs (FAU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Diana Bukajeva/Isabella Fernandez (STET) def. Bianca Biglione/Stephanie Cardullo (FAU) 8-6
2. Andrea Crespo/MB StaufferMacDowell (STET) def. Kandis Legall/Taylor Briggs (FAU) 8-6
3. Lyndsey Boos/Catalina Ene (FAU) def. Lindsey Cable/Eveline Lepinay (STET) 8-7 (7-5)
Florida Atlantic 1-4