Alena Dvorakova - handed Emese Sulyos first career loss
Feb. 17, 2005
BOCA RATON - Led by senior Alena Dvorakova's singles victory over the reigning Atlantic Sun Player-of-the-Year, sophomore Emese Sulyos, the Florida Atlantic University women's tennis team defeated Jacksonville 5-2 on Thursday afternoon in the conference-opener for both teams.
"We played well," said Owls' coach Alex Alcantara. "We still have three girls at less than 100%, but they're going to be fine."
FAU (1-1, 1-0) took the doubles point by winning at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. Dvorakova and newcomer Elodie Wendling teamed up for an 8-3 victory in the top spot while Krystel Borg and Katherine Bartnik also won 8-3 at the third position.
The battle at the No. 1 position was the highlight of the singles contests. After losing the first set to Sulyos 6-1, Dvorakova came back and won the next two sets 6-1 and 6-4, handing the Hungarian native her first career dual match singles loss. Sulyos had won her first 21 contests as a Dolphin and was 28-1 overall in her two years at Jacksonville (2-2, 0-1).
The Owls have a big conference weekend ahead of them with UCF (Saturday) and Stetson (Sunday) coming to Boca Raton for 11 a.m. contests.
1. Dvorakova/Elodie Wendling (FAU) d. Bourot/Antonioli, 8-3
2. Hajbane/Willi (JU) d. Koksova/Kecht, 8-6
3. Borg/Bartnik (FAU) d. Sulyos/Williams, 8-3
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) d. Emese Sulyos, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Lena Willi (JU) d. Veronika Koksova, 6-4, retired
3. Krystel Borg (FAU) d. Daphne Bourot, 6-3, 6-3
4. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) d. Nisrine Hajbane, 6-2, 6-3
5. Dana Antonioli (JU) d. Claudia Kecht, 6-4, 6-4
6. Pia Terol (FAU) d. Megan Williams, 6-1, 6-2