Feb. 14, 2003
JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Florida Atlantic University, ranked no. 75 in the nation, defeated Jacksonville University, 5-2, Friday in an Atlantic Sun Conference dual match in Jacksonville, FL. With the win, FAU improves to 4-2 overall and 2-0 in the A-Sun.
FAU fell behind 1-0 when JU took two of three doubles matches. However, the Lady Owls dominated singles, winning five of six matches. Karolina Roubickova defeated Nisrine Hajbane, 6-1, 6-0, at no. 2 to tie the match at 1-1. After the Lady Owls dropped their only singles match, at no. 4, Jessica Burrow picked up a victory at no. 6. Burrow won the first set against Kristina Puck and went on to win the match by default.
Seven minutes later, at no. 1, Alena Dvorakova defeated Veronika Subertova, 6-1, 6-4, to give FAU a 3-2 lead. The Lady Owls clinched the match two minutes later when Krystel Borg defeated Tamara Kaftalovich, 6-4, 6-1, at no. 5.
Florida Atlantic next faces Bethune-Cookman Saturday afternoon in Daytona Beach, FL.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) d. Veronica Subertova (JU) 6-1, 6-4.
2. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) d. Nisrine Hajbane (JU) 6-1, 6-0.
3. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) d. Kim Packer (JU) 7-5, 6-2.
4. Martina Strussova (JU) d. Tania Rivera (FAU) 6-4, 6-1.
5. Krystel Borg (FAU) d. Tamara Kaftalovich (JU) 6-4, 6-1.
6. Jessica Burrow (FAU) d. Kristin Puck (JU) 7-5, def.
1. Dvorakova/Roubickova (FAU) d. Stussova/Subertova (JU) 8-2.
2. Hajbane/Packer (JU) d. Aguirre-Gomez/Borg (FAU) 8-6.
3. Kaftalovich/Puck (JU) d. Stephanie Beaulieu/Burrow (FAU) 8-6.
FAU Tennis Player Bianca Biglione Named to...
Two FAU Women’s Tennis Players Earn All-C...
Women's Tennis Dropped C-USA Tournament Match...
Tennis Duo Honored for Academic Success
Women's Tennis Falls to Brown 6-0
Women's Tennis Drops Close Match to Marquette 4-3
Women's Tennis Roll Against Rhode Island 7-0