Jan. 31, 2003
Coral Gables - Florida Atlantic University lost a tough match Friday evening against no. 24 Miami in Coral Gables 6-1. However, the recently ranked no. 75 Lady Owls didn't go down without making some noise as Alena Dvorakova beat the no. 2 player in the nation.
After dropping the first set 3-6, to no. 2 Megan Bradley, Dvorakova rallied back to win the next two sets decisively, 6-2, 6-4. The victory marks the first time an FAU player has defeated a ranked player this year.
FAU will next host Stetson, February 9, at 12:00 noon.
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Megan Bradley (UM) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
2. Mari Toro (UM) def. Tania Rivera (FAU) 6-2, 6-0.
3. Melissa Applebaum (UM) def. Karolina Roubickova (FAU) 6-7, 7-5, 10-1 tiebeaker.
4. Staci Stevens (UM) def. Maria Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) 7-6, 7-5.
5. Ewelina Skaza (UM) def. Krystel Borg (FAU) 6-3, 6-4.
6. Sihem Bennacer (UM) def. Jessica Burrow (FAU) 6-3, 6-3.
1. Applebaum/Bradley (UM) def Dvorakova/ Roubickova (FAU) 8-6.
2. Toro/ Stevens (UM) def. Rivera/ Aguirre-Gomez (FAU) 8-2.
3. Igna deVilliers/Abby Smith (UM) def. Stephanie Beaulieu/ Burrow (FAU) 8-6.