NORFOLK, Va. – Aliona Bolsova and Natalia Boltinskaya picked up singles victories, but the Florida Atlantic University women’s tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss in its spring opener at Old Dominion Saturday.
"We had some opportunities to get on top today and didn't take them seriously," FAU Head Coach Marcy Hora-Cava said. "Playing a school like ODU, you can't give them an inch or they will take a foot. I have a good idea of what we need to focus on tomorrow and each of us have learned from a few mistakes today"
- ODU swept doubles play 6-4, 6-1, 6-1 to take the first point of the meet
- 2 ranked Bolsova topped ODU’s Holly Hutchinson 6-2, 6-2 to open singles play and tie the match
- FAU’s Marisa Ruiz then fell 6-0, 6-3 in No. 4 singles to Victoria Olivarez
- Jennifer Leib suffered the same fate in a 6-3, 6-0 loss to Adriana Rajkovic
- ODU’s Yulia Starodubtseva fended off FAU’s Kristen Thoms 6-1, 7-5 in No. 3 singles to clinch the match for the Monarchs
- JaCara Gillis dropped her singles match 6-3, 6-4 to Louie McLelland
- The freshman Boltinskaya finished off the contest with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory over Nataliia Vlasova
FAU remains in Virginia to take on VCU in Richmond at 11 a.m. Saturday before facing William & Mary on Sunday at 11:30 a.m.