EMERSON, Ga. The Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team advanced to the semifinals of the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) Tournament with a pair of wins, before falling to Florida State 4-1 on Saturday. The Owls defeated UAB 3-2 and College of Charleston 5-0.
Match 1 vs. UAB
All-Conference selections Jessalyn Kinlaw and Megan Rice gave FAU a 1-0 lead with a 21-10, 21-17 victory on court 1. Gabrielle Dischler and Candace Lacour also recorded a straight set win at no. 3, putting the Owls up 2-0. Nicole Grant and Nicole Navarro lost the first set on court 4, but took the second. However, their rally came up just short, as they dropped the final frame 16-14. Carly Scarborough and Ashlan Cunningham met a similar fate at no. 4, tying the match 2-2. All eyes then turned to court 2, where Jazmine Barker and Brittany Pellitteri won the third set 16-14 to win the match for FAU.
Florida Atlantic 3, UAB 2
- Megan Rice/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) def. Erika Zembyla/Avery Hoven (UAB) 21-10, 21-17
- Jazmine Barker/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) def. Avei Longoleo/Kat Jovicic (UAB) 23-21, 15-21, 16-14
- Gabby Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) def. Kenley Adams/Emily Martinez (UAB) 21-16, 21-19
- Haley Jared/Tressa Buckland (UAB) def. Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) 21-16, 18-21, 16-14
- Kalah Jones/Rachel Evans (UAB) def. Carly Scarbrough/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) 15-21, 21-17, 16-14
Match 2 vs. College of Charleston
FAU won four of the five matches in straight sets. The only court to extend to a third set was no. 4, where Grant and Navarro held off a rally and won the set 15-10 to complete the sweep for the Owls.
FAU 5, College of Charleston 0
- Megan Rice/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) def. Maddie Hills/Riana Brennan (COFC) 21-9, 21-10
- Jazmine Barker/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) def. McKala Rhodes/Krissy Mummey (COFC) 21-13, 21-18
- Gabby Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) def. Lauren Hollman/Katja Ehlers (COFC) 21-12, 22-20
- Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) def. Devon Rachel/Allison Beckman (COFC) 21-15, 17-21, 15-10
- Carly Scarbrough/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) def. Lauren Freed/Taylor Foley (COFC) 21-15, 21-11
Match 3 vs. Florida State
Barker and Pellitteri lost in straight sets on court two to give the Seminoles an early 1-0 lead. Dischler and Lacour fell 21-14, 21-11 at no. 3, as FSU took a 2-0 edge. Kinlaw and Rice swept FSU's top pair to cut the deficit in half. However, Grant and Navarro dropped a pair of two-point decisions at no. 4 to clinch the match for the Seminoles. On court 5, Cunningham and Scarborough were able to force a third set, but were tripped up 15-12 to account for the final score.
Florida State 4, Florida Atlantic 1
- Kinlaw,Jessalyn/Rice,Megan (FAU) def. Leigh Andrew/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) 22-20, 22-20
- Vanessa Freire/Victoria Paranagua (FSU) def. Barker,Jazmine/Pellitteri,Brittany (FAU) 21-10, 21-10
- Macy Jerger/Sierra Sanchez (FSU) def. Dischler,Gabrielle/Lacour,Candace (FAU) 21-14, 21-11
- Katie Horton/Francesca Goncalves (FSU) def. Grant,Nicole/Navarro,Nicole (FAU) 21-19, 25-23
- Hailey Luke/Eva Torruella (FSU) def. Scarborough,Carly/Cunningham,Ashlan (FAU) 16-21, 21-15, 15-12
The Owls conclude the season with a 21-11 record. The 21 wins are the most in school history. The team is expected to return 12 players for the 2018 season.