TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The 14th ranked Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team lost both of its matches at the Staybridge Suites Invitational on Friday, losing to #10 Georgia State 3-2 and #11 South Carolina 4-1. The Owls are currently 18-7 on the year.
Match 1 vs. #10 Georgia State
Maja Ristic and Julia Lewkowicz won their exhibition match in straight sets. Ashlan Cunningham and Sam Gott dropped a 21-18, 21-15 decision on court 5. Brittany Pellitteri and Jazmine Barker split the first two sets with matching 24-22 scores at no. 4, but rolled to a 15-5 third set win, tying the match 1-1. On court, reigning National Pair of the Week Nicole Navarro and Nicole Grant gave FAU its first lead of the match with a three-set win. The tandem of Candace Lacour and Gabby Dischler lost a pair of nailbiters on court 2, 25-23, 21-19. The Owls’ top team of Megan Rice and Jessalyn Kinlaw came up short, 21-15, 21-15.
#10 Georgia State 3, #14 Florida Atlantic 2
- Chelsea Ross/Delaney Rohan (GSU) def. Shoaff,Beth/Kinlaw,Jessalyn (FAU) 21-15, 21-15
- Haley Pa'akaula/Jessica Fourspring (GSU) def. Dischler,Gabrielle/Lacour,Candace (FAU) 25-23, 21-19
- Grant,Nicole/Navarro,Nicole (FAU) def. Amie Held/Brooke Weiner (GSU) 21-17, 14-21, 15-13
- Barker,Jazmine/Pellitteri,Brittany (FAU) def. Natalie Wilson/Kate Novack (GSU) 24-22, 22-24, 15-5
- Olivia Stasevich/Georgia Johnson (GSU) def. Gott,Sam/Cunningham,Ashlan (FAU) 21-18, 21-14
Ext. Lewkowicz,Julia/Ristic,Maja (FAU) def. Maddie Gordon/Ashley McGinn (GSU) 21-18, 21-15
Match 2 vs. #11 South Carolina
Sam Gott and Carly Scarborough overcame a first set loss to with the exhibition match in three. Lewkowicz and Cunningham lost by the smallest possible margin at no. 5, coming up two points short in each set. At no. 4, Pellitteri and Barker eked out a 17-15 third set win to tie the match 1-1. South Carolina regained the edge with a straight set win on court 2. Grant and Navarro won the first set at no. 3, but couldn’t hold off a rally from the Gamecocks’ no. 3 duo, clinching the match for South Carolina. At no. 1, Kinlaw and Rice won the second set 21-16, but couldn’t complete the comeback, losing the third set 15-12.
#11 South Carolina 4, #14 FAU 1
- Adrianna Culbert/Katie Smith (SC) def. Rice,Megan/Kinlaw,Jessalyn (FAU) 21-17, 16-21, 15-12
- Shannon Williams/Ali Denney (SC) def. Dischler,Gabrielle/Lacour,Candace (FAU) 21-17, 21-17
- Katie Zimmerman/Macie Tendrich (SC) def. Grant,Nicole/Navarro,Nicole (FAU) 19-21, 21-15, 15-11
- Barker,Jazmine/Pellitteri,Brittany (FAU) def. Julia Mannisto/Carly Schnieder (SC) 14-21, 21-12, 17-15
- Jade Vitt/Franky Harrison (SC) def. Lewkowicz,Julia/Cunningham,Ashlan (FAU) 21-19, 24-22
Ext. Scarborough,Carly/Gott,Sam (FAU) def. Hannah Edelman/AJ Baumann (SC) 16-21, 21-15, 15-10
FAU will wrap up action at the Staybridge Suites on Saturday, facing Florida State and TCU at 8 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., respectively.