MIAMI, Fla. – The no. 14 Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team had its 17 match winning streak snapped by no. 3 UCLA in the Owls’ second match at the FIU Surf and Turf Tournament on Friday. FAU swept New Orleans 5-0 in its first contest of the day. The Owls are now 18-3 on the year.
Match 1 vs. New Orleans
Brittany Pellitteri and Jazmine Barker rolled to a 21-13, 21-12 triumph at no. 4. On the no. 5 court, Ashlan Cunningham and Julia Lewkowicz took a convincing 21-5 win in the first set, then won the second 21-17 to complete the sweep. Nicole Navarro and Nicole Grant clinched the match for FAU with a 21-14, 21-17 result at no. 3. The tandem of Candace Lacour and Gabby Dischler took a 21-16, 21-13 decision on the no. 2 court. The Owls’ top team of Megan Rice and Jessalyn Kinlaw found themselves in the unfamiliar position of having to rally after losing the first set. The duo recovered to take the final two sets and complete the sweep.
Florida Atlantic 5, New Orleans 0
- Kinlaw,Jessalyn/Rice,Megan (FAU) def. Cara Sander/Victoria Corcoran (UNO) 20-22, 21-12, 15-11
- Lacour,Candace/Dischler,Gabrielle (FAU) def. Blessing Dunn/Veronica Corcoran (UNO) 21-16, 21-13
- Navarro,Nicole/Grant,Nicole (FAU) def. Brook Frank/Rachel Kuhn (UNO) 21-14, 21-17
- Pellitteri,Brittany/Barker,Jazmine (FAU) def. Lauren Levy/Rhyan Rand (UNO) 21-13, 21-12
- Lewkowicz,Julia/Cunningham,Ashlan (FAU) def. Brianna Vega/Samantha Uline (UNO) 21-5, 21-17
Match 2 vs. #3 UCLA
Rice and Kinlaw won the first point of the match with a hard fought 21-17, 21-19 victory over the McNamara sisters at no. 1. Barker and Cunningham were edged 29-27 in the first set on the no. 5 court, then fell 21-14 in the second to tie the match. The Bruins took a 2-1 lead with a 21-15, 21-18 conquest in the no. 4 matchup. Grant and Navarro extended the third set at no. 3 to extra points before the UCLA tandem was able to hold them off and clinch the match. Lacour and Dischler won an incredible first set 28-26, came up just short in the second and eked out a 15-13 win in the third to account for the final score.
#3 UCLA 3, #14 FAU 2
- Kinlaw,Jessalyn/Rice,Megan (FAU) def. Nicole McNamara/Megan McNamara (UCLA) 21-17, 21-19
- Lacour,Candace/Dischler,Gabrielle (FAU) def. Kamila Tan/Madi Yeomans (UCLA) 28-26, 19-21, 15-13
- Izzy Carey/Elise Zappia (UCLA) def. Navarro,Nicole/Grant,Nicole (FAU) 20-22, 21-16, 23-21
- Jordan Anderson/Savvy Simo (UCLA) def. Pellitteri,Brittany/Lewkowicz,Julia (FAU) 21-15, 21-18
- Lily Justine/Chanti Holroyd (UCLA) def. Barker,Jazmine/Cunningham,Ashlan (FAU) 29-27, 21-14
The Sandy Owls conclude the FIU Surf and Turf Invitational on Saturday with matches against Arizona State and host FIU at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.