BOCA RATON, Fla. - (March 27, 2017) – The no. 15 ranked Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team defeated Florida Gulf Coast University 4-1 in the Owls’ final home match of the season. FAU now holds a 17-2 record and has won 16 matches in a row.
Carly Scarborough and Lauren Galinis defeated Kara Van Nice and Julia Lewkowicz in straight sets in an intrasquad match. Maja Ristic (13 kills) and Jazmine Barker (17 kills) both had impressive offensive totals in their 21-13, 21-16 at no. 5 to put FAU up 1-0. Nicole Navarro and Nicole Grant had to hold off the Eagles’ no. 4 duo 22-20 in the first set and won the second set 21-16 to give the Owls a 2-0 lead. Grant had 18 kills, while Navarro had 11 kills and four service aces in the win. On court 2, Gabrielle Dischler and Candace Lacour used a combined 15 kills and seven service aces to power their way to a 21-15, 21-16 win and clinch the win for the Owls. Brittany Pellitteri and Sam Gott fought gamely, but fell short at no. 3. Jessalyn Kinlaw and Megan Rice collectively registered 29 kills to extend their winning streak to 16 with a 21-18, 21-5 victory at no. 1.
“The girls played great, coming off of an undefeated weekend. We had to get to work today, because FGCU held their own. (We) stayed the course and played well.”
Florida Atlantic 4, Florida Gulf Coast 1
- Kinlaw,Jessalyn/Rice,Megan (FAU) def. Mackenzie Allen/Amanda Carroll (FGCU) 21-18, 21-15
- Lacour,Candace/Dischler,Gabrielle (FAU) def. Giovanna Borgiotti/Ashley Glickert (FGCU) 21-15, 21-16
- Katherine Puisis/Karissa Rhoades (FGCU) def. Pellitteri,Brittany/Gott,Sam (FAU) 21-15, 21-10
- Navarro,Nicole/Grant,Nicole (FAU) def. Madi Wilcox/Leigh Pudwill (FGCU) 22-20, 21-16
- Ristic,Maja/Barker,Jazmine (FAU) def. Caroline Jordan/Halie Werkmeister (FGCU) 21-13, 21-16
Exh. Lauren Galinis/Carly Scarborough (FAU) def. Kara Van Nice/Julia Lewkowicz (FAU) 21-19, 21-13
The Owls travel to FIU Surf and Turf Invitational this weekend in Miami Beach, Fla.