TAVARES, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team won both of its matches at the Stetson Beach Invite on Saturday. With the victories, the Owls (12-1) extended their winning streak to 11 matches in a row.
Match 1 vs. Lincoln Memorial
The Owls won all five courts in straight sets. Brittany Pellitteri and Jazmine Barker scored the most decisive victory, winning 21-9, 21-11 on court no. 3. Ashlan Cunningham and Julia Lewkowicz had the toughest time, winning the no. 5 match 21-11, 21-16.
Florida Atlantic 5, Lincoln Memorial 0
- Megan Rice/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) won 21-11, 21-11
- Gabrielle Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) won 21-11, 21-14
- Brittany Pellitteri/Jazmine Barker (FAU) won 21-9, 21-11
- Nicole Navarro/Nicole Grant (FAU) won 21-11, 21-14
- Ashlan Cunningham/Julia Lewkowicz (FAU) won 21-11, 21-16
Match 2 vs. Georgia State
FAU nipped Georgia State 3-2 in their second match of the day. Four of the five matches went to three sets. Lewkowicz and Cunningham lost the first set at no. 5 24-22, but rallied to take the next set 21-15. However, they came up just short in the third, losing 15-10. At no. 4, Nicole Grant and Nicole Navarro also lost the first set before winning the set, but they were able to capture the third 15-4, to take the match. Gabrielle Dischler and Candace Lacour also had to overcome a set one loss, but managed to grind close victories in sets two and three to capture the point at no. 3. Barker and Pellitteri fell in straight sets at no. 2. The Owls’ top tandem of Megan Rice and Jessalyn Kinlaw found themselves in unfamiliar territory, dropping the first set 21-18. The duo regained their composure and bulldozed their way to a 21-8 second set win. In the third set, Kinlaw and Rice came away with a 15-11 triumph to take the match.
FAU 3, Georgia State 2
- Jessalyn Kinlaw/Megan Rice (FAU) def. Chelsea Ross/Delaney Rohan (GSU) 18-21, 21-8, 15-11
- LeeAnn Starr/Haley Pa’akaula (GSU) def. Jazmine Barker/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 21-7, 21-17
- Gabrielle Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) def. Natalie Wilson/Amie Held (GSU) 21-23, 22-20, 15-12
- Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) def. Jessica Fourspring/Brooke Weiner (GSU) 21-23, 21-18, 15-4
- Georgia Johnson/Olivia Stasevich (GSU) def. Ashlan Cunningham/Julia Lewkowicz (FAU) 24-22, 15-21, 15-10
The Owls travel to St. Petersburg, Fla. for next weekend’s Battle on the Bay.
Kinlaw and Rice Wrap Up Action at the USAV...
Kinlaw and Rice Drop Two at the USAV Collegiate...
Kinlaw and Rice Selected for USA Volleyball...
Duo of Kinlaw and Rice, Glades Earn Another FAU...
FAU Beach Volleyball Falls in Semifinals of...
Sandy Owls Cap Day One of CCSA Tournament with ...
Jessalyn Kinlaw and Megan Rice Named to CCSA...