BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team faced off against a pair of tough opponents, on day two of the Burrow Beach Bash, falling to Florida Gulf Coast 3-2 and #11 Georgia State 4-1. The Sandy Owls are now 6-6 on the season.
Match 1 vs. Florida Gulf Coast
Erica Brok and Mackenzie Morris took court five in straight sets by matching 21-13 scores. Amanda Silva and Kaila Dorish won the first set at no. 4, but lost the next two, allowing the Eagles to tie the match at 1-1. Jessalyn Kinlaw and Gabrielle Dischler regained the lead for the Sandy Owls with a 21-13, 21-17 victory on court two. Nicole Navarro and Nicole Grant couldn’t fend off a FGCU comeback at no. 3 and the Eagles were once again able to level the score, this time 2-2. The match came down to the no. 1 court were Carly Scarbrough and Brittany Pellitteri dropped a pair of narrow decisions and FGCU took the match. Julia Lewkowicz and Sam Gott swept their match on the exhibition court.
Florida Gulf Coast 3, #15 Florida Atlantic 2
- Amanda Carroll/Mackenzie Allen (FGCU) def. Carly Scarborough/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 21-19, 21-17
- Jessalyn Kinlaw/Gabrielle Dischler (FAU) def. Giovanna Borgiotti/Ashley Glickert (FGCU) 21-13, 21-17
- Katherine Puisis/Karissa Rhoades (FGCU) def. Nicole Navarro/Nicole Grant (FAU) 19-21, 21-17, 15-10
- Snowy Burnam/Kayla Whetstone (FGCU) def. Amanda Silva/Kaila Dorish (FAU) 15-21, 21-18, 15-13
- Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris (FAU) def. Kaitlan Krivdo/Alayna Ryan (FGCU) 21-13, 21-13
Ext. Julia Lewkowicz/Sam Gott (FAU) def. Karissa Rhoades/Kellie Pernula (FGCU) 21-14, 21-11
Match 2 vs. #11 Georgia State
Brok and Morris won their 10th match of the season with a sweep on court five by matching 21-16 scores to give the Sandy Owls a 1-0 lead. The Panthers tied the match with a straight set victory on court four. Another GSU sweep on court one put FAU behind 2-1. Dischler and Kinlaw overcame a first set loss at no. 2 but lost a nailbiter of a third set to clinch the match for the Panthers. Grant and Navarro rallied from a defeat in the first set to force a decisive set, but their comeback came up just short. Ashlan Cunningham and Megan McGrath got extended to a third set in the exhibition match, but were able to close out the duo from GSU 15-10 to take the match.
#11 Georgia State 4, #15 Florida Atlantic 1
- Teegan Van Gunst/Tiffany Creamer (GSU) def. Carly Scarborough/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 21-15, 22-20
- Annika Van Gunst/Brooke Weiner (GSU) def. Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) 21-11, 19-21, 15-12
- Olivia Stasevich/Georgia Johnson (GSU) def. Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) 21-13, 16-21, 15-9
- Amie Held/Kate Novack (GSU) def. Kaila Dorish/Amanda Silva (FAU) 21-18, 21-18
- Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris (FAU) def. Eden Hawes/Ashley McGinn (GSU) 21-16, 21-16
Ext. Ashlan Cunningham/Megan Mcgrath (FAU) def. Maddie Gordon/Rebekah Brodbeck (GSU) 21-10, 19-21, 15-10
The Sandy Owls will travel to Tavares, Fla. for the Stetson/Hickory Point Lake Bash on March 16 and 17.