BOCA RATON, Fla. -
Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball hosted St. Petersburg College in a scrimmage match, on Tuesday afternoon. The Owls won all eight contests, five of which were taken in straight sets.
Head Beach Volleyball Coach Capri Grotowski
On the scrimmage:
"I think it was good. The girls had a lot of good touches. They brought competition, which it's always good to get some outside competition in. They were making good choices. We served aggressively, which has been a big focus, so it's nice to see the team put that into play."
On if this helped prepare the team for this weekend:
"Yes, absolutely. I think for the girls to have some pressure put on them is always a good thing, so I hope they show up this weekend ready to rock."
Keys to the Match
- Match 1: The duo of Jessalyn Kinlaw and Megan Rice proved to be victorious once again as they combined for 19 kills in two sets. Kinlaw added 11 digs and six aces to Rice's three and four, respectively.
- Match 2: The No. 2 seed ended their matches quickly as they did not allow their opponent to reach double digits in either set. Lauren Galinis led the charge with five kills and three digs while Jazmine Barker tacked on three aces and a block.
- Match 3: Gabrielle Dischler tallied 19 kills, four blocks and two aces. Teammate Candace Lacour had a solid performance as well to help secure the three-set win contributing nine kills, six digs and three aces.
- Match 4: Nicole Grant recorded 12 kills in 16 attempts while also serving up three aces. Partner Kara Van Nice had seven kills and got sandy with 12 digs.
- Match 5: Ashlan Cunnighman and Julia Lewkowicz combined for 18 kills and five aces in their two-set victory.
- Exh. 1: Carly Scarborough was the top killer in her match with 16 on 27 attempts. Lauren Galinis had seven kills of her own along with eight digs and four service aces.
- Exh. 2: Rice and Van Nice teamed up against St. Petersburg's No. 5 duo. Rice collected 20 kills on 19 attempts along with three blocks. Her court partner tallied eight digs and two aces.
- Exh: 3: Sam Gott and Maja Ristic wrapped up the day with a win after a grueling back-and-forth three-set battle with the Titans' No. 2 pair.
- No. 1 Jessalyn Kinlaw/Megan Rice (FAU) def. Ana Costa/Amanda Silva (SPC) 21-10, 21-19
- No. 2 Lauren Galinis/Jazmine Barker (FAU) def. Bea Vieira/Amanda Filippo (SPC) in two
- No. 3 Gabrielle Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) def. Ana Costa/Amanda Silva (SPC) 19-21, 21-17, 15-11
- No. 4 Nicole Grant/Kara Van Nice (FAU) def. Nina Petranović/Tina Se?a (SPC) 21-13, 21-14
- No. 5 Ashlan Cunningham/Julia Lewkowicz (FAU) def. Nina Tiedt/Lily Hosstetter (SPC) 21-11, 21-16
- Exh 1. Carly Scarborough/Lauren Galinis (FAU) def. Nina Petranović/Tina Se?a (SPC) 21-19, 13-21, 15-9
- Exh 2. Kara Van Nice/Megan Rice (FAU) def. Nina Tiedt/Lily Hosstetter (SPC) 22-20, 21-18
- Exh 3. Sam Gott/Maja Ristic (FAU) def. Bea Vieira/Amanda Filippo (SPC) in three
The Owls will head to the Alabama coast to take part in the Gulf Coast Beach Volleyball Bash on March 11-12 in Gulf Shores, Ala. FAU will face Tulane and New Orleans on Saturday, March 11 followed by Jacksonville State and Houston Baptist on Sunday, March 12.