SAINT AUGUSTINE, Fla. - The 17th ranked Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team wrapped up action at the UNF Beach Invitational on Sunday. The Sandy Owls defeated no. 6 LSU and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, each by a score of 4-1. FAU’s duo of Mackenzie Morris and Erica Brok went 4-0 on the weekend and made the all-tournament team.
Match 1 vs. #6 LSU
Amanda Silva and Kaila Dorish gave the Owls a 1-0 lead with a 21-10, 21-19 win on court four. FAU was just a point away from clinching the match after Brok and Morris swept court five by matching 21-14 scores. The Tigers won on court one to briefly stave off defeat, but Gabrielle Dischler and Jessalyn Kinlaw sealed the victory with a 21-16, 21-18 decision on court two. At no. 3, Nicole Grant and Nicole Navarro outlasted the LSU duo 15-11 in the third set to account for the final score.
#17 Florida Atlantic 4, #6 LSU 1
- Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) def. Brittany Pellitteri/Carly Scarbrough (FAU) 21-11, 21-14
- Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) def. Haleigh Nelson/Hunter Domanski (LSU) 21-16, 21-18
- Nicole Navarro/Nicole Grant (FAU) def. Emmy Allen/Maddie Ligon (LSU) 15-21, 26-24, 15-11
- Amanda Silva/Kaila Dorish (FAU) def. Olivia Powers/Megan Davenport (LSU) 21-10, 21-19
- Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris (FAU) def. Emily Hardesty/Gina Tillis (LSU) 21-14, 21-14
Match 2 vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
The Sandy Owls were impressive in beating the Islanders, winning all their matches in straight sets. Morris and Brok steamrolled their way to a 21-11, 21-7 win on court five. On court four, Dorish and Silva posted matching 21-14 scores in their victory. Team Nicole (Grant and Navarro) had a tougher time at no. 3, winning 21-18 and 22-20. Dischler and Kinlaw completed their flawless day with a 21-15, 21-11 triumph at no. 2. FAU nearly pulled off the sweep, but Brittany Pellitteri and Carly Scarbrough came up just short at no. 1, falling 21-19 in a thrilling third set.
#17 Florida Atlantic 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
- Selina Marolf/Abigail Devido (TAMCC) def. Brittany Pellitteri/Carly Scarborough (FAU) 16-21, 26-24, 21-19
- Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) def. Madison Green/Rachel Young (TAMCC) 21-15, 21-11
- Nicole Navarro/Nicole Grant (FAU) def. Madi Fitzsimmons/Demi McInnis (TAMCC) 21-18, 22-20
- Kaila Dorish/Amanda Silva (FAU) def. Kayla Walker/Chloe Simon (TAMCC) 21-14, 21-14
- Mackenzie Morris/Erica Brok (FAU) def. Jenna Krenek/Naomi Overstreet (TAMCC) 21-11, 21-7
FAU Head Coach Capri Grotowski
On the win over LSU…
“Everyone showed up and competed (well). It was a great win and I’m really looking forward to seeing what the group can do.”
The Sandy Owls return to Boca Raton to host the Burrow Beach Bash on Friday, March 9 and Saturday, March 10.