SAINT AUGUSTINE, Fla. – The 17th ranked Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team split its first day of action at the UNF Beach Invitational on Saturday. The Sandy Owls defeated the host Ospreys 3-2, but fell to no. 9 South Carolina 4-1 in their second match.
Match 1 vs. North Florida
On court one, Jessalyn Kinlaw and Gabrielle Dischler won the first set, but were unable to hold off a UNF rally, falling 17-15 in the third. Carly Scarborough and Brittany Pellitteri lost the first frame on court two, then answered by winning the second set. They ultimately came up just short, getting edged out 16-14 in the final set. Juniors Nicole Navarro and Nicole Grant were forced to a third frame after winning the first at no. 3, but held on for a 15-11 triumph. Kaila Dorish and Amanda Silva were impressive in their first match as a team, winning 21-15, 21-14 on court four. Erica Brok and Mackenzie Morris had the most emphatic win, taking court five 21-12, 21-14. While three of the five courts went to a third set, the Owls were just a few points away from sweeping the Ospreys. On the exhibition court, Mazarine Tsuji and Julia Lewkowicz won 21-15, 21-19.
#17 Florida Atlantic 3, North Florida 2
- Carina Hoff/Courtney Miller (UNF) def. Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) 14-21, 21-19, 17-15
- Taryn Griffey/Chaney Howard (UNF) def. Carly Scarborough/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 21-15, 19-21, 16-14
- Nicole Navarro/Nicole Grant (FAU) def. Brittany Pase/Casey Justice (UNF) 21-15, 14-21, 15-11
- Amanda Silva/Kaila Dorish (FAU) def. Nicole DeBolt/Madilyn McCarty (UNF) 21-15, 21-14
- Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris (FAU) def. Marisa Rogers/Callie Workman (UNF) 21-12, 21-14
Ext. Mazarine Tsuji/Julia Lewkowicz (FAU) def. Carolyn Cain/Blaire Register (UNF) 21-15, 21-19
Match 2 vs. #9 South Carolina
FAU’s second match of the day was just as closely contested as its first. Four of the five courts went to three sets, with the Gamecocks winning three of the four. South Carolina also took the only straight set win of the match, on court three. Mackenzie Morris and Erica Brok overcame a set one loss on court five and won the third set in impressive fashion, 15-4, to earn the point.
#9 South Carolina 4, #17 Florida Atlantic 1
- Shannon Williams/Ali Denney (SC) def. Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) 19-21, 21-17, 15-7
- Cadie Bates/Katie Smith (SC) def. Brittany Pellitteri/Carly Scarborough (FAU) 16-21, 21-15, 15-10
- Julia Mannisto/Carly Schnieder (SC) def. Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) 21-14, 21-14
- Leah Perri/Macie Tendrich (SC) def. Amanda Silva/Kaila Dorish (FAU) 21-11, 16-21, 15-10
- Mackenzie Morris/Erica Brok (FAU) def. Franky Harrison/Hannah Edelman (SC) 17-21, 21-14, 15-4
The Owls conclude action at the UNF Beach Invitational on Sunday against LSU and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.