MIAMI, Fla. - The no. 17 ranked Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team made a trip down south, losing a hotly contested 3-2 decision to rival and 11th-ranked FIU on Tuesday. The Owls are now 1-3 overall and 0-3 in CCSA play.
The Panthers (1-3, 1-0) swept on courts four and five. On court three, Nicole Grant and Nicole Navarro faced little resistance on their way to a straight set win. FAU’s no. 2 tandem of Carly Scarbrough and Brittany Pellitteri battled back from a 0-1 deficit to take a hard fought three-set victory, winning the decisive frame 15-12. On court one, Gabrielle Dischler and Jessalyn Kinlaw fought gamely, but ultimately came up short and FIU took the court and the match.
#11 FIU 3, #17 Florida Atlantic 2
- Federica Frasca/Margherita Bianchin (FIU) def. Jessalyn Kinlaw/Gabrielle Dischler (FAU) 21-11, 21-18
- Carly Scarborough/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) def. Anabela Sataric/Dorina Klinger (FIU) 24-26, 26-24, 15-12
- Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) def. Lina Bernier/Erika Zembyla (FIU) 21-13, 21-16
- Estefanie Bethancour/Natalia Giron (FIU) def. Mackenzie Morris/Erica Brok (FAU) 21-14, 21-11
- Erin Byrne/Mariana Dal Pozzo (FIU) def. Kaila Dorish/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) 21-17, 21-19
Ext. Helene Thelle/Taija Thomas (FIU) def. Julia Lewkowicz/Sam Gott (FAU) 21-12, 21-13
The Owls travel to St. Augustine, Florida to take part in the UNF Beach Invite on Saturday, March 3 and Sunday, March 4.