DELAND, Fla. - The no. 16 ranked Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team dropped a hard fought contest to no. 8 South Carolina 3-2 at the Stetson Spring Fling on Saturday. The Owls’ (1-2) scheduled contest against Georgia State was cancelled due to darkness.
Erica Brok and Mackenzie Morris gave the Owls the first point of the match, winning the first set on the no. 4 court 22-20, then winning the second set 21-14. South Carolina tied the match with a 15-9 set three win over Ashlan Cunningham and Kaila Dorish at no. 5. FAU’s no. 1 tandem of Gabrielle Dischler and Jessalyn Kinlaw took a tough luck loss, dropping a pair of two point decisions. On court three, Nicole Grant and Nicole Navarro tied the match at 2-2 with a 15-8 win in the third set. At that point, the match came down to court two, but the Gamecocks came out victorious to take the match.
#16 South Carolina 3, #8 Florida Atlantic 2
- Shannon Williams/Ali Denney (SC) def. Gabrielle Dischler/Jessalyn Kinlaw (FAU) 21-19, 25-23
- Carly Schnieder/Katie Smith (SC) def. Carly Scarborough/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 21-17, 21-8
- Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) def. Leah Perri/Macie Tendrich (SC) 21-17, 15-21, 15-8
- Erica Brok/Mackenzie Morris (FAU) def. Julia Mannisto/Jess Vastine (SC) 22-20, 21-14
- Franky Harrison/Hannah Edelman (SC) def. Ashlan Cunningham/Kaila Dorish (FAU) 14-21, 22-20, 15-9
The Owls travel to Miami to face FIU on Tuesday, Feb. 27 at 1 p.m.