CHARLOTTE N.C. - The Florida Atlantic University softball team is headed to the championship game of the Conference USA tournament for the third time in four years after a 5-1 win over UAB on Friday. The Owls had to rebound from a 7-5 loss to Middle Tennessee earlier in the day. FAU is now 30-25 on the season.
Game 1 vs. Middle Tennessee
Emily Lochten led off the game with a homerun to straight away center field. The Owls increased their lead to 4-0 in the bottom of the fourth on Samantha Lageyre’s RBI double and a two-run base hit by Tatum Buckley. The Blue Raiders cut the lead in half in the top of the fifth and took the lead on Kirstyn Cuccia’s grand slam homerun in the top of the sixth. Buckley drove in her third run of the game with a double to right center that scored Lochten, but MT took the run back in the top of the seventh. FAU went in order in the bottom of the seventh to end the game.
- Tatum Buckley went 3-for-4 with three RBI at the plate.
- Samantha Lageyre had two hits, an RBI and a run scored.
- Emily Lochten’s homerun was part of a two-hit, three-run game for the senior.
- Mia Olson, Lauren Whitt, Alex Miller and Amanda Peck also recorded hits for FAU.
Game 2 vs. UAB
It appeared that UAB would take an 3-0 lead in the top of the second, but Madisyn Palmer made an incredible leaping catch against the fence in center to keep the game scoreless. Olson put the Owls on the board in the bottom of the second when she hit a solo homerun to left center. Lochten doubled the lead to 2-0 in the third with her second solo shot of the day. FAU broke the game open with three runs in the bottom of the fourth. Olson crushed her second homerun of the game to make the score 3-0. After Lauren Whitt drew a walk, Jolie Duffner doubled her in before coming around to score on a Kelsey Morrison base hit. UAB led off the top of the sixth with a homerun, but Olson retired the final six batters of the game to send the Owls through to Saturday.
- Olson homered twice in a game for the second time in less than a week, she pulled the feat off against UTSA last Saturday.
- In the circle, Olson threw a complete game five-hitter to pick up her ninth win of the season.
- Emily Lochten homered for the 13th time this season.
- Kelsey Morrison and Jolie Duffner each had a hit and a RBI.
- Alex Miller posted her second two hit game of the day.
FAU Head Coach Joan Joyce
“This team just doesn’t give up. They don’t want to lose.”
The Owls will face Middle Tennessee in a rematch for the C-USA Championship at noon on Saturday. The game will air on CBS Sports Network. Live stats will be available at fausports.com. In-game updates will also be available through the team’s Twitter account, @fauowlssoftball.