HATTIESBURG, Miss. - A late rally by WKU, capped off by two runs in the top of the ninth inning, proved too much to overcome as the Florida Atlantic University softball team lost 6-5 at the Conference USA tournament on Wednesday.
The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third when Mia Olson’s base hit drove in Delaney Rickey to put the Owls up 1-0. WKU tied the game in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly. FAU appeared to seize control in the bottom of the inning, when Alex Miller drove in Madisyn Palmer before her and Tatum Buckley scored on an Olson single to make the score 4-1. The Hilltoppers answered back with two runs in the top of the sixth and another in the top of the seventh to force extra innings. After a scoreless eighth, WKU scored twice in the top of the ninth to take a 6-4 lead. Olson drove in her third run of the game with a sacrifice fly to left, but a fly ball to right ended the contest.
- Olson went 3-for-4 with three RBI.
- Palmer and Rickey both went 2-for-4 and scored a run.
- Miller had two hits, an RBI and scored a run.
- Emily Lochten set single season program records for runs scored (58), slugging percentage (.834) and on-base percentage (.539) and tied the FAU mark for total bases (131).
- Madisyn Palmer broke the FAU record for stolen bases in a season with 42.
- Amanda Wilson ends her career with 49 wins, tied for sixth in school history. She also finishes sixth in career shutouts with 16.
The Owls end the season with a 35-21 record and are expected to return seven everyday starters for the 2018 season.