EL PASO, TEXAS - A pair of impressive offensive performances propelled the Florida Atlantic University softball team to a pair of wins over a pesky UTEP squad, 7-4 and 11-8. The doubleheader sweep improves FAU to 35-19 overall and 15-8 in Conference USA play.
Alex Miller put the Owls on the board in the top of the first with a two-run single that scored Emily Lochten and Madisyn Palmer. Miller grounded out in the third inning to drive in Palmer and push the FAU lead to 3-0. Mia Olson soon followed with a two-run shot to left to stretch the lead to 5-0. The Miners scored four runs in the bottom half of the frame to pull within 5-4. In the top of the fourth, Lochten smacked a solo homerun and Tatum Buckley singled in Rickey to account for the final score.
- Amanda Wilson gave up 10 hits, but just two earned runs to pick up her 15th win of the season.
- Alex Miller went 3-4 with three RBI.
- Madisyn Palmer and Delaney Rickey both went 2-for-3 and scored twice.
- Emily Lochten homered, walked twice and scored twice.
- Lauren Whitt had two hits in the game.
FAU got out to another early lead in the second game, scoring two runs on a Miner error in the top of the first. UTEP answered with three runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 3-2 advantage. Lochten led off the third inning with an infield single. Later in the frame, Buckley drew a walk before Alex Miller drove both of them in on a triple down the right field line. Olson followed up with a base hit that allowed Miller to score and give the Owls a 5-3 lead. Two singles and two UTEP errors pushed the lead to 7-3 in the top of the fourth. Lochten and Rickey had RBI hits in the top of the fifth and FAU increased its advantage to 9-3 in the fifth. UTEP led off the bottom of the inning with back-to-back homeruns, and another run scored later in the frame to cut the margin to 9-6. Both teams scored a run in the sixth and the Owls added one more in the top of the seventh, making the score 11-7. UTEP scored in the seventh and had the tying run at the plate with one out, but a popup and groundout ended the game.
- Lochten had three hits an RBI and scored a school record five runs in the game.
- Rickey singled and drove in three runs.
- Palmer had two hits and scored twice.
- Alex Miller had two hits, two RBI and scored twice.
- Caitlin Hogue singled and scored in a pinch-hit appearance.
- Buckley threw six innings for her 10th win of the season. Olson pitched the seventh.
- The 14 FAU hits in the game ties for the most in a game this season by the Owls.
The Owls will look for a series sweep of UTEP on Sunday. The game begins at 3 p.m. Eastern. With a win in Sunday’s game, FAU will be the no. 3 seed at the C-USA Tournament. Links to live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. In-game updates will also be available through the team’s Twitter account, @fauowlssoftball.