FORT MYERS, Fla. - Florida Atlantic University's softball team won both games of its doubleheader against Florida Gulf Coast on Wednesday. The Owls won the first game 3-2 in nine innings and the second game 8-3. FAU is now 26-15 on the year.
Game 1 Highlights
- Lauren Whitt and Amanda Peck each went 2-for-4
- Mia Olson hit her fourth homerun of the season
- Madisyn Palmer and Delaney Rickey each scored a run
- Tatum Buckley pitched all nine innings to pick up the win
FGCU was the first to crack the scoreboard, in the bottom of the second inning with two solo homeruns, taking a 2-0 lead. FAU answered back with two runs of their own in the top of the fifth. Palmer scored on a single up the middle by Rickey and then Rickey scored from a double to center field by Emily Lochten. The game remained scoreless until the top of the ninth inning when Mia Olson hit a home run to left field. The Owls held off the Eagles in the bottom of the ninth to take the victory 3-2.
Game 2 Highlights
- Madisyn Palmer went 2-for-2 and scored four runs
- Alex Miller went 3-for-4
- Lauren Whitt was 1-for-2 and added a run
- Amanda Wilson pitched the entire game allowing three runs on eight hits adding two strikeouts. Her record improved to 11-7
Palmer led off the game for the Owls with a walk, stole second, and advanced to third on a Delaney Rickey hit to shortstop. Palmer came around to score on a Buckley single. FAU scored five runs in the top of the forth inning. The Eagles had three errors in that inning and five throughout the duration of the game. The Owls kept FGCU from getting back into the game only allowing two runs in the final four innings.
The Owls will be back in action on Friday as they host Middle Tennessee for a weekend conference series. For tickets, call 1-866-FAU-OWLS. You can also follow the team via fausports.com for live video and live stats. Fans can also follow the action at the team’s official Twitter account, @fauowlssoftball.