BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – The Florida Atlantic University softball team began the defense of its regular season Conference USA title from a year ago with a doubleheader sweep of WKU on Saturday.
- Tatum Buckley had another impressive outing in the circle, throwing a complete game three-hitter with a season high eight strikeouts.
- Alex Miller went 3-4 with three RBI and scored a run.
- Rickey singled, scored twice and drove in a run.
- Kaitlyn Burke went 2-3 and had an RBI.
Alex Miller put the Owls (19-10, 2-0 C-USA) on the board in the top of the first with a two-run single that scored Delaney Rickey and Mia Olson. A Rickey groundout and WKU (18-11, 3-2) error scored two more runs in the second. Miller grounded out and Kaitlyn Burke doubled in the sixth to drive in the last two runs of the game.
A Rickey base hit and another Hilltopper error put FAU ahead 2-0 in the top of the third. WKU cut the lead in half in the bottom of the inning. The score remained 2-1 until the top of the fifth. With Samantha Lageyre on second, Emily Lochten doubled and Rickey tripled to increase FAU’s lead to 4-1. Buckley successfully executed a squeeze bunt that scored Rickey.
- Lochten had three hits, two RBI and scored.
- Rickey added two hits, two RBI and a run.
- Samantha Lageyre posted two base hits and scored a run.
- Amanda Wilson gave up only four hits to pick up the win in the circle.
FAU Head Coach Joan Joyce
“It’s always good to start off conference play with two wins. Our pitchers did a good job of keeping (WKU) in check.”
The Owls will look for a series sweep of WKU on Sunday. The game begins at 1 p.m. Eastern. Links to live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. In-game updates will also be available through the team’s Twitter account, @fauowlssoftball.