BOCA RATON, Fla. - (March 14, 2017) – The Florida Atlantic University softball team wrapped up its tournament schedule with victories over Fairfield and Illinois St. and a loss to Fordham on Tuesday. The games were the final ones of the FAU Parents’ Weekend Tournament.
Game 1 vs. Fairfield
In the resumption of a game that was stopped due to rain on Sunday night, the Owls (17-10) led 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning when action continued. The final run of the game came in that inning, when Lauren Whitt scored on a Stag (4-11) fielding error.
- Mia Olson threw a complete game nine-hitter and struck out three in the win.
- Madisyn Palmer, Emily Lochten and Whitt all singled and scored in the contest.
- Olson also added an RBI double at the plate.
- Kaitlyn Burke added a base hit.
Game 2 vs. Fordham
FAU gave up three runs in the top of the first and never recovered. The Rams (20-6) added four more runs in the top of the fifth for the final margin of victory.
- Carolyn Rosa had two of FAU’s four hits in the game.
- Lochten and Delaney Rickey also tallied hits for the Owls.
- Tatum Buckley threw 2.1 innings of scoreless relief in the circle for the Owls.
Game 3 vs. Illinois St.
The third meeting in 10 days between the two teams was a pitchers’ duel between Tatum Buckley and ISU’s Sarah Finck. FAU broke through in the bottom of the third inning, when Lochten scored on a Rickey grounder to take a 1-0 lead. Buckley was able to make the lead hold up until the top of the fifth, when the Redbirds (10-12) scored on a base hit to left to tie the game. Alex Miller led off the bottom of the seventh with a double to left center. She advanced on a Burke foulout along the right field fence and scored when the throw got away from the ISU third baseman.
- Lochten went 2-for-3 and scored a run.
- Rickey singled and drove in a run.
- Buckley, Miller and Madisyn Palmer also had hits in the game.
FAU Head Coach Joan Joyce
“We were able to close out the game against Fairfield and Mia (Olson) was able to maintain the same control she had (on Sunday). Against Fordham, they got out to an early lead and did a good job of keeping us off balance at the plate. We’ve played Illinois State three times in the last 10 days and all three games have been close. I’m just glad we were able to win both of them this weekend.”
The Owls will begin defense of their 2016 Conference USA regular season title with a trip to WKU. The three game set begins on Saturday, March 18 at 2 p.m. Eastern. Links to live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. In-game updates will also be available through the team’s Twitter account, @fauowlssoftball.