BOCA RATON, Fla. (March 7, 2017) - Florida Atlantic University's softball team downed Long Island University Brooklyn 6-4 and then fell to Ball State 9-4 in the nightcap.
Head Coach Joan Joyce
We battled in both games…Amanda (Wilson) did a great job until the end. We made one or two mistakes behind her and it got scary there for a while. We did a good job. We battle back in the second game against a very good team, and one that covers the plate very well.
Game 1 Highlights
- Emily Lochten was 2-for-4 with two RBI
- FAU, which was held to four hits, saw Tatum Buckley (1-for-2) and Lauren Whitt (1-for-3) record the remaining two hits Amanda Wilson pitched a complete seven inning game for the Owls to move to 5-4 on the year.
- Amanda Wilson had five strikeouts and just one walk.
The Owls scored two in the first, one in the second and put up their game’s final three runs in the third. Amanda Wilson used the cushion to pitch scoreless ball through four inning before allowing one in the fifth and three unearned in the sixth before closing out the contest.
Game 2 Highlights
- FAU’s top of the order lead the Owls with four of the team’s six hits. Emily Lochten and Madisyn Palmer each had two. Kaitlyn Burke added a double in the seventh and scored on a one out sacrifice bunt by Amanda Peck.
- Mia Olson started the game for the Owls and fell to 3-2 on the year.
- Palmer scored two for the game’s four runs
Tatum Buckley relieved Mia Olson in the top of the fourth and then helped her cause driving in Madisyn Palmer for the Owls’ first score. The Owls added two in the sixth which started with a leadoff double by Emily Lochten. Kaitlyn Burke it a one out double in the seventh. She gave way to pinch runner Sami Williams, who moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on a Amanda Peck bunt.
The Owls will be back in action on Friday in the Parents Weekend Tournament featuring: FAU, Ball State, Brown, Fairfield, Fordham, Illinois State, and LIU Brooklyn. For tickets call 1-866-FAUOwls. You can also follow the team via fausports.com for an audio option or live scoring.