BATON ROUGE, LA - Florida Atlantic University's softball team fell twice on day one of the LUS Invitational. The dropped a 5-4 nine inning decision to Illinois and then fell in the nightcap to tournament host LSU, 5-1.
Game 1 Highlights
- Emily Lochten went 2-for-2 and had a homer
- Alex Miller had two hits
- Mia Olson and Amanda Peck each added a hit and a run
- Amanda Wilson started the game in the circle and worked four innings before giving way to Tatum Buckley, who started the game at third. Wilson gave up five hits, four runs of which three were earned. Buckley pitched the final four, struck out four, allowed one earned run, but it was the game’s deciding run.
The Owls did most of their damage in the second by scoring three runs and going up 3-1. Illinois scored three of their own in the top of the third and held a 4-3 lead until shortstop Emily Lochten lead off the seventh with her ninth homer of the young season. The two teams played a scoreless eighth but the Illini pushed across a run in the top of the ninth that FAU was unable to match for the 5-4 final.
Game 2 Highlights
- Fayth Davis broke open the shutout with a solo in the top of the seventh versus tournament host LSU
- Catcher Alex Miller went 1-for-2 on the day
- Amanda Wilson started her second game of the day for the Owls and battled through 4.1 inning before giving way to Tatum Buckley once more. Wilson gave up four runs, only two earned. Buckley pitched 1.2 inning, retired one with a strikeout and gave up just two hits
The Owls lone run in the 5-1 LSU final came via a Fayth Davis homer. LSU got out of multiple jams stranding nine FAU bases runners.
The Owls will be back in action on Saturday in the LSU Invitational, the Owls’ first road trip of the 2017 season featuring: FAU, Illinois, Illinois State, Minnesota, and LSU. Game times are slated for 2 p.m. versus Illinois State and 4:30 p.m. versus Minnesota. You can follow the team via fausports.com for live scoring and by twitter at @FAUowlssoftball.